Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier last month or so i posted my engine combination and everyone said i would be running somewhere around high 11s to low 12s without nitrous. Nitrous will come later on but for right now, for arguments sake, lets say i will be running 11.80s to 11.90s. I have a ford 9" out of a Lincoln Versaille with a 28 spline mini-spool and Richmond 4.56 street gears. I was told with my engine combo and everything i have that i should strongly think about upgrading to a 33 spline spool and aftermarket axles because i might snap an axle. I just want to get back out on the track, its been too long. I use to race a jr.dragster for 5 years and sold it 5 years ago. its been too long lol. My question is, what do you think i should do? Bolt up what i have and run it, or spend the money and beef up the entire rear end and not worry about anything. I know with the nitrous and bigger cam and a few more things later on i might be in the high 10s, then i will have to get aftermarket axles per NHRAs rule. Im worried about right now, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Chris "The Kid"

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
probably will hold up without a nos hit, go for it what do you have to lose? i think the chevy 8.5 10 bolts are 28 spline and many here say thay will take it. worst case is youll have to fix a quarter panel and get some new axles.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The differential cross pin or minispool will break before the 28 spine axles I bet. 31 spline axles and a spool could probably be had for around $300 and would add the strength you need. Then later on get a nodular center section and a daytona pinion support.

I still think the best insurance and bang for the buck is a Dana 60

·
Registered
508 Posts
my moto is if if aint broke dont fix it. the 28 spline will hold up just fine. and if you do break an axle your running a 9" so the axles are bolted in. (normally wont come out of the housing so no quarter panel damage). ive been running an 8.2 10 bolt for ten years with all stock stuff and running 11.20's. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
my moto is if if aint broke dont fix it. the 28 spline will hold up just fine. and if you do break an axle your running a 9" so the axles are bolted in. (normally wont come out of the housing so no quarter panel damage). ive been running an 8.2 10 bolt for ten years with all stock stuff and running 11.20's. :eek:
My butt puckered just reading that Bro!!:D 8.2 damn!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I beat on my 8.2" for a long time and the only thing that ever broke was the little bolt/pin that holds the cross shaft--both times it broke while just cruising down the street 25-30 mph. I think the buffoon that setup the rear is to blame.
My buddy made lots of 9 sec. passes on his 28 spline 9" rear. On an 11 sec. car I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I beat on my 8.2" for a long time and the only thing that ever broke was the little bolt/pin that holds the cross shaft--both times it broke while just cruising down the street 25-30 mph. I think the buffoon that setup the rear is to blame.
My buddy made lots of 9 sec. passes on his 28 spline 9" rear. On an 11 sec. car I wouldn't hesitate to use it.
sutton...:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats what i think im going to do, just bolt it up and try. Later on im going to a 31 or 33 but right now i just want to get back out there lol. Thanks guys
The Kid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts