Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '71, with a 307, TH350, 1-legged 10 bolt rear. I'm about half-way done building a face-melting .060 350 backed by an m22. I was about to order a posi unit and some gears when I realized, I have no idea if it's an 8.2 or 8.5. I looked around, and everything I found said that 71's should probably have an 8.5, and that the cover would be smooth (bulged more to the drivers side, but with no groove). So I've got the smooth cover, but where the "Corners" are on the bottom on either side of the cover, it has the sort of half-moon looking cut-outs instead of like a square corner(If you look at novaresource.com you'll see what I'm talking about...mine looks like the 7.5/7.625, but it has the notches on the top as well, which the 7.5 doesn't have. So...it's a mystery to me. I was looking through some car profiles on here and asked another member, and he was curious about it as well, because he has _THE SAME_ nova as I do, down to the interior and exterior colors etc. So if I need to take a pic I can, but hopefully someone has been down this road before and knows what I mean. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The 8.5" wasn't used until 1972. Some people claim to have seen them in late 1971 Novas but I've never seen that. Every '71 I've seen had a 8.2" regardless of the cover style. Look for the metal tabs on the bottom and check the pinion nut size.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Looks like an 8.2 to me as well. The 8.5 started in 1971 in F bodies, but that rear won't bolt into your car with out modificatins.

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
The 8.5 started in 1971 in F bodies.
The 8.5" wasn't used until 1972. Some people claim to have seen them in late 1971 Novas but I've never seen that. Every '71 I've seen had a 8.2" regardless of the cover style.

have to agree with both these statements....

the 71 F-body was a late year addition and well as the A-body...

Never seen one in a X body in 71...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a 68 camaro with a 10 bolt...which means it would be an 8.2 as well correct?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
yep the 8.5 did did not makes its debut till the last half of 1971..... prior to that it was the 8.2 from 1964(chevelle) till 1971

since sept 1970 was the new model year for 1971 and sept. 1971 was the new model year for the 72....... it would be cars built prior to sept 1971 and after may 1971

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I was looking around, and I can get complete rebuild kit with whatever gears I want, brand new posi unit etc. for about $750. But I was looking at a rear-end we pulled out of a 97 olds bravada, and it's only an inch and a half shorter, has disc brakes, sway bar etc...and I can get another for about $100, and then mount my springs on it. It's a 3.73 posi, which is pretty nice :). So does anyone know how those rear-ends hold up? just a 10 bolt posi out of a 97 bravada, gmc jimmy, chevy blazer, s10 etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you're right kane, it does sort of look like that, but since I'm for sure my rear-end is original, and Evans thinks his is original, there should be no reason to have 7.5's because of the years they were used etc. I'm going to wind up measuring the pinion nut here pretty soon to get a *Positive* ID.

·
4,534 Posts
Some 8.2's have the little cut out's as well. It is an 8.2 from the picture.

Miles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts