Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the rear gears i set up seem to have a howl when i deccelerate. When On the throttle they are whisper quiet. but let off and they howl till i hit slower speeds. All the carrier and pinion bearings are new.
What should I look at. Backlash and pattern where good when assembled.
these are new 3;55 richmonds

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have an 8.5 behind my '72. Years back I had a shop set up the rear end for bracket racing. They said it was tight and may howl a little and it did. That was over 10 years back and I have only put a couple thousand miles on the car since. I have bracket raced the car on and off plus a little street time. I just pulled the rear cover to inspect and change the oil. The gears look great, almost no wear and the contact pattern is right.

I'm far from the gear expert, mine was fine, but I can't tell you if the whine you hear is normal or not.

Maybe some of the other guys on here have better insight.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If it's howling loud you missed the set up. If it's right it would be quiet or just a slight noise the radio would cover up. JMHO, RM

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Check the depth of the pinion...Sounds like it's not totally set into place. Only thing is, if you have a lot of miles on it they might be too scarred to do anything with, thus needing a new ring and pinion. Worse comes to worse, pay the local shop to look at it and if still possible, set it up correctly without noise.

Jason

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The guy that set-up my Moser didn't like how tight it came from Moser so he changed it and GEEEZZZ-LOUISE!! You can hear me coming for miles when off the throttle. It seems to work fine, but it is LOUD.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
I think I have read on here that most gear sets today will howl even when setup correctly.....of course the farther out of wack they are the louder they will howl

·
Registered
347 Posts
It is possible the pinoin bearings have loosened up too much. Particularly if they were originally installed without enough preload. Pull the driveshaft and turn the pinion back and forth within its backlash. It should be pretty snug. If it does not, tighten it up a bit.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Light howling on coast...
A very experienced mechanic advised the following;

Try the pinion depth slightly deeper into the housing (more shim). Start with .002"-.003"

I have not had a chance to try the fix on mine yet (have not been driving the car).

Gary

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
sorry but may last two richmond gear set ups had that noise..my motive
3.55"s dont make a single sound and its been set up the same as all the others..just from what ive run into

those richmond are a strong gear but i think they must be a little more straight cut

·
Registered
347 Posts
I recently set up a set of Motive 3.73's in my 8.2. The pattern with these gears is ideal.

I did a web search and the consensus on Richmond's is about 50/50. There's those that love 'em and have never had problems. There's those that say they are noisy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently installed an 8.2 Eaton carrier and richmond 4:10 gears and the pattern is good as well as the backlash and I have a bit of a hallow when I let off as well, I figured it wouldn't hurt. Chances are if I pulled it apert and tried to get it any better it may end up worse.

·
Registered
436 Posts
That's good to know about the Richmond gears. I had a friend installed 3.42's in his 77 a few months back and complained they sounded like they were howling and thought something was wrong, so he swapped back to the original gears about a week later.

I was considering doing the same thing, but maybe I'll look into something different even though I probably wouldn't hear it over my engine anyways. It would just make me think something was set up wrong if it didn't run quiet.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
My Richmond's howl, my dad's Motive gears don't. I called Richmond's tech support on multiple occassions and talked to an axle guy I know. After trying a few times to get it PERFECT, Richmond eventually admitted their gears are made of a less flexible metal (read, harder to break) so they tend to howl more often, even if set up correctly. I buttoned it back up and haven't had a problem since, other then a little noise.

Kev

·
Registered
436 Posts
My Richmond's howl, my dad's Motive gears don't. I called Richmond's tech support on multiple occassions and talked to an axle guy I know. After trying a few times to get it PERFECT, Richmond eventually admitted their gears are made of a less flexible metal (read, harder to break)
That's a good point too Kev. I guess it just depends on what the application will be.

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
as i said before the motive gear is a good choice and the yukons from randy's ring and pinion..ive used all of these on my truck and my nova

richmonds are a very strong gear set, but most of use street guys arent going to launch are cars either...

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I guess the howling problem is relevent to how a person hears it. I don't hear things others do and many people are that way. My ears ring constantly and I don't hear most high pitch sounds anymore. I mean a little gear noise is just that to me, a little gear noise. Turn the radio up and lets go. If the radio doesn't cover it up, people hear you coming up the road, or the dogs start barking when you ride by that is a problem. Every gear I ever set up that was howling in my head, was set up wrong, and I was able to fix it. RM

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Can't turn a radio up in my car 'cause it is radio delete from the factory and it will stay that way.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I was doing some hard burnouts and shifting the other day. Now my rear howels when it gets warmed up. I mean really loud!!! I don't have carpet over the aluminum tubs yet. You can't immagine how loud it is.
It howels when I give it the gas not when I let off.
The opposite of bowtie0069
It was ok before the hard hits. But that should not have hurt anything. It's a f#*^d 9 inch
Sounds like a noisy Peat Jackson gear drive in my headrest. Too noisy to drive.
I guess I will have to take it out and see what is wrong.
Don

1 - 20 of 27 Posts