Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on lowering the rear of my recently purchased 62 vert. Came to me with 10 bolt posi with 373 gear and 4 wheel disks (no park brake). I thought it wouldn't be a big deal to lower the car back to stock height. Yeah, right. PO installed 15 x 8 Cragars with 235/60-15 Dunlops. He had leafs added to the mono spring which raised the rear up to 19 inches from ground to bottom of rear bumper. Too high for my taste. I purchased new mono leaf springs to replace the multis but first I will have to fit new wheels. I like the look of the Cragars but from the research i've done so far, I don't think even going to 15 x 7 would help:(. I measured the distance between axle flanges after removing the rotors to be 57 & 3/4 inches. The car also has the chassis works front end with Wilwood brakes. I would like to replace the rear disk with matching Wilwood units with parking brakes. The car has a TKO 5 speed so a park brake would be good to have. I don't know what the currently installed brakes are from. The caliper mounts are welded to the axle flanges so I'm not sure if Wilwood has a caliper for the mounts. While i'm at it, the gearing is a little tall with the 5 speed. I think 3.42 would match up a little better for a street car. Big question(s) are: Can this rear be saved or should I scrape together big bucks for a Moser with the gears and brakes I want? Still have to change wheels I think, right? Can anyone tell me what the rear brakes I have might be from (both are leaking and need repair or replace) and is the mounting plate supposed to be welded to the axle flange? Anybody running Cragar wheels on 1st gen? What size tire and wheel? Sorry for the rambling but I worked on the car all day and didn't finalize anything.:mad:

Not sure how to post a pic so here is the link to my photobucket

http://s1282.beta.photobucket.com/user/buccflyer/library/

·
4,534 Posts
Look to be 70's camaro or chevelle disc brakes. I'm guessing they welded them because they were too lazy to redrill the mounting holes to clock the calipers to clear the springs. I can't see how they welded them from your pics so saving the housings current ends is a hard one to answer. You could always have 9" for ends welded on the diff and order new axles (could even narrow the rear to help with wheel selection at the same time). They will make the willwood brakes for the 9" rear ends as well as the factory c-clip ends.

Miles

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
The width sounds OK but the back spacing on the Cragars must be wrong.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I just replaced the rear in my 62 vert. Because it had a Heidt's front clip and Ford pattern up front, I went with a Maverick 8" rear at 56.5" wide at the axle ends. I went with 15x7 wheels and all fits a clears well. Now I can get the wheels out without deflating the tires.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys

Remembered the PO said rear brakes were from an 80's firebird. Checked google images and the pics match what I have. I think since the axle flanges are welded to the caliper mounting plates and clocked wrong, making it impossible to add parking brakes, I am going to replace the whole set up. The cost is frightening but the Heidt's bolt in 4 link complete with a 9 inch, Wilwood brakes with parking brake, Posi with 3.50 gears and all just might be the way to go. Solves the tire fitment problem and maybe I can keep the Cragars after all. PO did great work up front but got tired or maybe ran out of money when he got to the back of the car. Would the 4 link set up be money well spent? Hummmmmmmmmmmm....Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts