Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 63 for about 10 miles and roasted both rear brakes. Probably within minutes of a fire. Lots of smoke etc. I assumed it was a stuck e-brake so I trailered it home. Absolutely no friction, and was able to freely spin the hub. Couple of taps on the drum and they popped right off. E-brake is working fine. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, this is the first time I have ever had the wheels off since I bought it and wow did I find a mess. It has a 5 lug conversion and what appears to be the original 4 lug drums re-drilled. One drum has 10 holes and the other has 11. Horrible!!!!! The lower return springs were upside down which was interfering with the auto adjustment gear so that wasn’t working. It appears the shoes were well away from the drum. I’m stumped on what was rubbing to get so hot. There’s more. I got no brake fade. Brakes are hard as a rock. Press on the pedal, not even a wiggle. So the questions are, any ideas why the original event happened. Can the extreme heat destroy the wheel cylinders so they are destroyed and now don’t work? And what new drums to get. I have no idea what rear end I have after the conversion. The drums I have are 9” X 2.25”, but I can’t find any data on that size. Are they really 2” and I don’t know where to actually measure. Thanks for the help.

Rick

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Hi Rick

1st off --- Welcome to SNS

2nd ------- pretty much --- for your type of brake questions ; we most likely need more info. Go under your car & try to ' id ' your type of rear-end.

(now saying that --- be advised , I'm a 3rd gen guy).

But are there any difference ( id .. wise ) between early 4-lug & 5-lug rears …. 'backing plates, shoes, brake hardware … ? '
Sounds like you have 5-lug axles with "drilled-out" 4-lug brake drums ……. strange ?

Then, you should be able too see where it "got that hot" -------- if it got THAT Hot --- I'd replace the wheel brake cyl. and all rear brake hardware --- on both sides ! !

Last --- help should be here --- but , they may need some good Pictures , to help explain your issue.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Pics are always a good idea, can you see on the brake shoes where they are wearing, evenly or in just one area? I would also check the axle beraings, if they are sloppy they can make the drum rub on the bottom of the shoes. Also with the drum bolted tight to the axle with the wheel off, rotate the drum and see if it is out of round, if the drum was redrilled they might not have drilled it in the center

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
I'm going to take a stab. I think your problem wasn't with the shoes, the drum or even the e-brake. I think that you maybe had a hydraulic problem.

If the car hasn't been driven often or in a long time, brake lines or the wheel cylinders can become rusty. Press the brakes a couple times after the vehicle has been sitting, and the cylinders can bind, or there can be an obstruction in the line. If the obstruction happens after application of the brakes, it could hold the pressure and keep the shoes against the drum, or the wheel cylinders could stick in a 'braking' mode, keeping pressure outward on the shoes. Worn backing plates with a ridge can cause sticky shoes, and so can old sticky or frozen brake hardware, or weak, rusted springs. Time to overhaul the rear brake system, beginning with checking the lines for being plugged or obstructed with rust, and go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drum mess update

Thanks everyone, this breaks the code on several levels.

No markings on the axel or hub that I could find. My drum p/n is 3793483. I read some other threads and one by Birdchirp talks about a corvair 4 lug swap with 3793482 and not available aftermarket. Based on that bit of data and the mess my drums are, yes I believe these are factory 4 lug drums, re-drilled very badly to a 5 lug pattern. Attached pic with 11 holes. Previous Pic of 3841177 IS factory and fits both 4 and 5 lug late 60’s Camaro. (8 holes. Pattern shares 1 hole). Thanks for that pic Livestoride. The only question I would still have is WIDTH. My shoes are 2” wide. Drums are 2.25 wide. Makes perfect sense. I’ll buy some and see if they are identical size.

Shoes are clean and have even wear. Based on Ally,s assessment, the hydraulic,s were probably the issue. Yes, I put too little miles on the car and the line obstruction or sticky cylinders could be the answer. Thanks again all.

Rick

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts