Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right know I'm still on a budget with the layoffs and stuff. I got the brakes plummed and filled, but when I tried to use them the proportioning valve I had was seized up. I bought a new one from ebay for about $50. I plan on running the disk/drums till I save some cash.

Question is what years do explorer brakes fit 9 inch fords so I can keep an eye out?

I know your supposed to change to a disk/disk master cylinder and combo valve, but how would the brakes function if you just changed the disks and ran it that way? Just curious

·
Registered
247 Posts
Are you talking about running drums up front and disc out back? When I changed rear ends I went with the stock disc set up that was on the rear I bought and still have the drums up front or at least till I save enough to changed over to front disc. I also used the original single master cylinder without a prop valve and it stopped pretty well. I have since changed to a dual master cylinder and prop valve just to upgrade the system. All my struff is GM.

Scott

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Explorer disc brakes from 95-99 are the one's you want. You can usually pick up everything you need from a salvage yard for $100-$150 which makes it a really cheap conversion. Aftermarket new rotors my cost are only about $16 and the beauty of the whole deal is you can go to any auto parts store and buy pads and calipers when needed for cheap-unlike Wilwood and other aftermarket setups. And they work well. My Son's 70SS has the Explorer rear discs and they work well. Also, for some reason this setup isn't as tempermental with corrosion issues like some of the G.M. stuff that the garages around here struggle to keep working. The rear discs on Explorers in this road salt area usually run trouble free to 100K+ unlike many others which need to be serviced regularly. It is a good setup.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm running a 9". I don't know exactly what year car it's out of. I would say around late 60's early 70's. Will the 95-99's explorer rear disks fit on older rear end housings? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Ford used 3 different housing bearing ends on the 9" rearends. The early small bearing design and late large truck bearing design won't work with the Explorer discs. It requires the large bearing torino style housing end that is common to car rearends from the late 60's on. If you go to Moser's or Currie's website you can get the dimensions of these ends and compare it with what you have. Chances are you have the right housing ends.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm sorry that I posted this in the wrong section. Should have been in the drivetrain section.

What I have is disk/drum. I believe its Malibu stuff on the front. Same stuff that came on early 2000's heidts kits with GM rotors.

yesterday I got the new combination valve and installed it. I seem to have brakes. I've got a disk/drum MC, disk/drum combo valve, and adjustable proportioning valve.

I bought the 9 inch housing from a friend. He had a deal where he bought them from the junk yard for use in Modified dirt cars. He has since past though so I can ask him. I had Moser narrow it, so I may be able to dig the paper work out or maybe they keep records, but this was like 9 years ago. I'm sure it was 31 spline axles and I bought a backbrace for it and it was a big web 9 inch. Curries site was down and I couldn't find anything on Mosers. Are there any measurements I can take without taking the rear out of the car, that will tell me what Bearing I have? thanks

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts