Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a '72 that we are converting from four wheel drum to four wheel disc. I believe the kit was bought from The Right Stuff.

We managed the front with little issue, but the rear is giving us a problem.

We removed the diff cover and took the c clip axles out, knocked the drum parts off and reinstalled the axles. Next we bolted the caliper brackets to the backside of the flanges located on the axle cover. We installed the passenger side rear rotor and the caliper slipped on. The problem is with the drivers side.

We can not get the caliper to slip over the rotor. The outside brake pad is too tight against the rotor. The inside brake pad has enough clearance. When I started comparing drivers side to passenger side, I noticed that the driver side axle is sticking out roughly 1/4" further than the passengers side. Could this be our issue? Does anyone have any ideas how we can get this caliper and rotor to fit?

·
4,534 Posts
1/4 inch is quite a bit. Are you sure you have the correct series carrier in the differential. If not that the difference in carrier heights is aprox 1/4".

Miles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure. Is there any way we can easily tell? I don't know off the top of my head what size gears are inside.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure about this brand of brakes you are using, but the ones I have installed have spacers or shims that you use to adjust the caliper to center it on the rotor. They fit between the caliper and the mounting bracket. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spacers will only move the caliper more towards the center of the car. Since the outside brake pad is already preventing us from slipping the caliper on, the spacers do nothing. We have thought about maybe moving the caliper bracket to the front side of the flange.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
brakes

I dont intend to hijack, but some disc kits call for the caliper in front on pass side , see what your particular kit is for. (ie) staggered shock or non staggered shocks

·
4,534 Posts
fastest way to tell if it has the wrong carrier in is is to pop the cover and look at the shims. the should look about the same thickness. If one is really thin and one is really thick then it is the wrong series carrier. If this is the case one axle will be tucked in and one axle will stick out. If the shims look equal then it may be the wrong length axle from another rearend.

Miles

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
........They fit between the caliper and the mounting bracket........
The spacers will only move the caliper more towards the center of the car. Since the outside brake pad is already preventing us from slipping the caliper on, the spacers do nothing. We have thought about maybe moving the caliper bracket to the front side of the flange.
He is talking about shimming between the caliper and caliper bracket, not the caliper bracket and the axle flange.......some kits have half moon spacers for this...

T,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are no spacers to shim between the caliper and bracket, also I don't think spacers would solve our problem.

Should one axle be shorter than the other?
Both axles are the same length, if our drivers side axle was just 1/4" shorter we would be golden.

·
3,863 Posts
Both axles should be the same length. You must have something put together incorrectly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's help so far.

The rear is a 8.5" with 3.73 gears. From what I understand, this setup should be using a series 3 carrier. Going strictly by pictures, I think he might have a series 2 carrier inside. Is there any definite way we can tell if it is a series 2 or 3? I think this setup would also explain why our drivers side axle is sticking out 1/4" further than the passengers side.

I measured from the flat surface of the ring gear to the flat surface of the carrier (where the bolt heads for the ring gear lay) and it was roughly 3/8" What would that measurement be for a 3 series carrier? The only casting marks I found on the carrier are "725" located on the same side that the ring gear bolt heads are located.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts