Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to find a nice rear disc brake kit for my 66 hardtop. I have looked at Wilwood and other performance brands like that but was wondering if there were any more quality brands or suppliers for a budget price?

I have disc's on the front already and would like to have them front and back...

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
218 Posts
The 98-02 rear camaro disk brakes are a good swap. They can be had for a good price and are a 12" rotor. There is a thread on here somewhere that talks about it. I'm using them on my build. I bought a complete posi rear from a 6-cylinder car, took the disk brake setup off (same as ls1) and sold the remaining rear for what I bought it for originally.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear discs...

I did search the threads and didn't find any useful info. I was just hoping to find a kit that was a reasonable price and install it. I was just looking on Summit's website and they have some will just have to get some advice.

I do have a Ford 9" 12 bolt rear end and not 100% sure if that will affect the kit? and also the car has been lowered.

Brian

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Ford nine with 12 bolt ends will require some research,if the housing to axle flange spacing is the same as GM LS brakes should work.If the Ford axle pilot is larger than the center hole on the GM rotors you will have to modify the axle or rotor to get things to fit.Have you had GM drum brakes on the rear already or is this all new stuff?I have been trying to sort out what rear discs will fit my car with a Ford rear with Ford ends and clear the springs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear discs...

I will have to verify it but I do believe the drums I put on were from the original 10 bolt that I have with the car. If memory serves we did open the center a hair to fit.
I will get back to you with that...

Brian

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Looking to find a nice rear disc brake kit for my 66 hardtop. I have looked at Wilwood and other performance brands like that but was wondering if there were any more quality brands or suppliers for a budget price?

I have disc's on the front already and would like to have them front and back...

Thanks,

Brian
You will hear a lot of pros and cons on CPP but I have their rear disc brake set up on mine and have had zero problems...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
This fellow has an eBay store called Quick Performance 515 232 0126. He builds Drive shafts rear ends and such. I've talked to him several times. He mentioned he has a couple options on rear brakes for 9" with a special parking brake housing and for 9" fords with Chevy ends and such. And if I remember it was a good price and quality parts.

Charley

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I GOT A 12BOLT WITH FORD ARMS AND ENDS, I USED WILWOOD!

TRY DEAN OSHIRO THE BRAKE GURU!
:cool:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rear discs...

I can't find this Dean guy either. Any ideas of a site or company he works for?

Brian

·
Registered
78 Posts
Better do a lot of research before you buy on this.I just went through this on my 66 ,12 bolt with big bearing ford ends and axels.Ill try to explain the problems you will encounter.First of all there are two big bearing ford ends,old style and newer torino type and they use different back spaceing.Most of the economy kits that use factory type calipers are for the later torino big ford ends,so I suggest you use those ends if you havent done your housing yet.Next problem,all the factory caliper kits will give you clearence problems IF you minitub your car and simply will not clear if you want it very low like I did.The calipers and or lines will not clear the frame. If you DONT mini tub you will probably be ok there. I finally figured out how to make them clear by redrilling mounting holes and rotating my calipers to the 4 oclock position.Next problem,there are basicly two kinds of calipers that are used in these factory caliper kits.One uses cadillac calipers with built in emergency brakes.They suck,they have to to be perfictly adjusted or your brakes dont hold good.They are where the clearence problem is,the e brake actuators stick out under your frame rails and will hit when your suspension goes down very far.The second type uses ford explorer rotors and calipers with internal e brake.Its a little better e brake but the lines on the calipers are in exactly the wrong place and the frame will hit them when the car goes down.If you dont mind not having e brakes the non e brake calipers on those kits will clear fine,I on the other hand, wanted e brakes. Sorry for such a long post but mabye it will help you make the right decision.If I could do it over again (and I might)I would spend the extra money and do a good aftermarket brake caliper kit with internal e brake like wilwood,baer,etc.and avoid these problems.One more thing you probably already know,the breaking point is around 11.50 inches for a rotor to clear a 15 inch wheel.SOME 15 inch wheels will clear a 12 inch rotor, most wont so plan on going 17s or somthing with any bigger rotor than 12s.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts