Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of converting my disc/drum setup from power back to manual because of my radical cam. I am wondering with a manual setup will rear disc brakes make a much of a difference over the drums. Before I get my new prop value I would need to decide which way I am going.

Keep in mind it’s going to cost $550+ for the disc brake kit and $75 for a new emergency cable. $700 is a lot of money and I am not sure from a braking performance perspective if it’s worth it. Brakes are the last thing to do before car in my mind is complete.

Anyone have an opinion either way?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I'm no expert, but my opinion is unless you're driving the car hard, I don't think they needed. My BB Nova stops well with the stock set up. I would put the money else where.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
IMO yes, they are worth it. 700 bucks isnt bad at all. And really, you may not notice any additional braking, till its critical, like that much needed braking power when coming off the freeway and fade starts.

Drum brakes have great stopping power. They have great mechanical advantage and a large friction area. The problem comes when the heat up. They cant dissipate the heat as well as disc brakes so brake fade will happen and just gets worse.

So if there is a critical stop or two at speed the front brakes are gonna have to take up the slack from the faded rear drums.

But IMO 700 bucks isnt alot to spend for a safe braking car. But if 700 bucks can be well spent on another area of the car thats really hurting, and money is tight then they can wait.. JR

·
Registered
583 Posts
It really all depends on how much you drive the car and how hard you drive it. I would put disks on any car I build because they look better that a big drum behind the rim but thats just my opion. $700 may sound like alot but as JRouche said they will be nice when you have to make a sudden stop.

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
I was looking at the price of the panel cut which is $249 and the price to buy autometer cobalt gauges and it seemd cheaper just to get the whole kit through covan. Its a couple of hundred cheaper that way. What am I missing?
Better Check with Covan and get it in writing what kind of gauges you are getting. I find it hard to believe they can beat Summit, they could not in my case, so I sent it all back to them.

T,

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If you got brake fade coming off the freeway, maybe you should get the car under 100 before exiting!
Heck no!! Critical braking. 8-9 braking is what I know. LOL Not good for every day driving... But, Id like to be able to stop. JR

·
Registered
37 Posts
700 seems alot for disk brakes.

Chevy 1/2 ton calipers and disks redrilled for your bolt pattern under $150, 3/8" brackets from BallisticFab.com $50. Misc fittings and bolts $50. A few hours fitting and welding.

So for $200 you could convert to disk.

And if your required an E-brake for inspection, go buy a mechanical line lock for another few bucks and a bit of line for some new plumbing.

·
Registered
329 Posts
If you want to stop better get Hawk HP Plus pads up front and stainless steel brake flex lines, but if it's for show, sure go for rear discs.

·
Premium Member
4,600 Posts
I have 4 wheel disc on my Nova ,rear are from a 85 IROC ,I love them plus it is coool saying four wheel disc ,people often take a second look :yes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts