Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning a rear disc conversion on my 70. Its a Right Stuff conversion kit. Will this move wheel outward or inward??? My front disc brake conversion moved the wheel approx. 1/4" outward. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know its an older thread but can someone expand on this by providing the actual measured thickness of the Right Stuff Detailing disc brake rotor hat measured at the wheel mounting surface? It looks to me like the stock drum is 1/8" thick at this area which is not much. If the disc brake rotor hat is 1/4" thick in this area that would push your wheels out by math 1/8" inch per side more than the drum brake does.

So how thick is it there?

·
Registered
315 Posts
just spoke with the tech guy at Right Stuff and he called me back after measuring several brake rotors and he said they are all right around .290" of an inch so just a little over a quarter.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the amount your wheels will be moved out will be the difference in thickness from the drum to the rotor. the drum is approximately .100, all you need to do is measure the thickness of the rotor hat and drum and subtract...

if your wheels/tires are close to the fenders, then you may possibly need a different backspace on your wheels... if you have 3/8" or more clearance you might be fine, but that could also be determined on how tight the suspension is... in regards to body roll etc...

·
4,535 Posts
most rotors are .250-.300" thick drums are .125

Miles

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
my new rear '98-'02 F body LS rotors are .229, '64-'67 factory ChevyII drums measure .110

i measured them for Philip & Klean63 just a couple days ago... just in case it's of interest.

but then... prices may vary, subject to change without notice. LOL!
(different model car, maybe different thicknesses. ;))

1 - 9 of 9 Posts