Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my 500 break in miles on my new 3.90’s (old 3.42s), rear end rebuild. Car feels snappy, can’t wait to mash on the go pedal. Both the diff housing surface and diff cover are cleaned and ready for RTV.

There are 2 additional holes (other than the 10 bolts) on the diff housing.

See attached pics... Do I apply the RTV on the outside of these holes (red pic) or inside (yellow pic)?

For my own understanding...What are these holes for ?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would just seal in between the bolt holes and not worry about those. It doesn't matter where the oil goes as long as it doesn't get out of the cover.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I agree. After a little more searching, looking at pics of similar housings with the cover pulled these holes are exposed to the main open part of the rear end. Drainage perhaps? Oiling passages? I don’t know.
I’m going to ensure the RTV is on the. <—00—> outer side of these holes. Red picture.
Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just completed my 500 break in miles on my new 3.90’s (old 3.42s), rear end rebuild. Car feels snappy, can’t wait to mash on the go pedal. Both the diff housing surface and diff cover are cleaned and ready for RTV.

There are 2 additional holes (other than the 10 bolts) on the diff housing.

See attached pics... Do I apply the RTV on the outside of these holes (red pic) or inside (yellow pic)?

For my own understanding...What are these holes for ?

Thanks

Rtv around those holes----Those holes are where the Kent-Moore housing spreader tool mounts to the housing. It looks like a square frame of very heavy gauge steel used to assist the Technician in removal of the diff. & shim packs with the bearing races. I never used it but had it in the dealership. :)

·
4,534 Posts
Outside of the holes, as stated they are for the housing spreader but also some covers have a rib that is V shaped and leads to these holes for fluid to get to the axle tubes for the wheel bearings. The rib was removed in later cover designs as was found to not be needed.
the pic is upside down but you get the idea.

Miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts