Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am looking to eventually tub my 75 nova after I'm done with my current motor project. I'm looking to go with a coil over suspension instead of the leaf springs in the rear to make the tubbing project easier. What all do I need to do for this? And since nobody makes kits for any project for a 4th gen, I'm sure I will wind up fabricating a lot.

I know it's a big project but I want to go with a pro street look. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
89 Posts
coil over kit

I was just going to get out a kit that I purchased from a guy who bought a project and decided to up grade to air ride. the kit was purchased new and tack welded in. The kit is similar to chassis engineering part#2051 but uses an off the shelf Monroe matic shock. Also different,it has an adjustable lower threaded spring seat mount Also includes tubular upper x-member and shock mount tabs.New springs are included(225lbs) I can email you photos if you like via private message thanks jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
coil over kit

I found a better photo. google Art Morrison Ent. Look for AME street & competition coil over. the ones I have look similar but have the eye mounting on top just like bottom .He gets 240 pr / 80.00 for adj. lwr mnt. / 50.00 for upper mnt. I would sell what I have for 250.00 thanks jeff

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I'm not ready to buy yet. I'm trying to find out the whole process of being able to install them. Like how to build the frame to make a top mount, I will be tubbing so how to build the frame for those.

·
Registered
89 Posts
rear frame clip

Go to art morrison ent. on the home page find instructions click on that,on the left you will see instructions, click on that then scroll 67-69 camaro rear frame install, almost the same steps for Camaro Nova Firebird. Not a bolt in takes some skill welding skill etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
4 link kit

'yes that's it you make it fit your application. What was shown in the ad, was more for a race application. If driving it on the street is your choice you would want to use a kit with poly urethane bushings, instead of heim joints though' less road noise/vibrations,IMO But the coil over suspension is about the same as pictured. What kid of rear end would you use? How big of wheel/tire combo?I used a fully braced 9", 15X14 wheels and 29X18X15 mickey's Check this out. www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/MC2012-07/dodge-suspension

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'yes that's it you make it fit your application. What was shown in the ad, was more for a race application. If driving it on the street is your choice you would want to use a kit with poly urethane bushings, instead of heim joints though' less road noise/vibrations,IMO But the coil over suspension is about the same as pictured. What kid of rear end would you use? How big of wheel/tire combo?I used a fully braced 9", 15X14 wheels and 29X18X15 mickey's
Ok I figured you make it to fit your application. I am slowly building my car into a pro street theme. And as for racing it, it is a street car but I'm hoping to see some track time this year.

Right now I have a ford 9" in it from a Lincoln Versailles obviously with a gear change so I was able to have rear disk brakes in the car. As for tire size I'm not sure yet. I will be tubbing for a pretty wide tire. I'm still in the research stage of this whole project. But thanks for your help answering my questions so far.

·
Registered
89 Posts
4 link kit

I saw elsewhere in the forums about that versallies rear end. To put big rear tires on your project, got to have a narrowed rear end. shorter axles (aftermarket at least 31 spline) the rear that you have probably has 28 spl. Then you will need a center section (carrier) with 31 spl. So with that being said ,what you have is a 9"housing that needs to be narrowed to you application. You should consider a complete rear frame clip with the rear end housing already narrowed and all brackets welded on including the rear suspension pcs. too.Expensive... yes you will want a roll bar/cage wheel tubs wheels and tires brake kit etc etc. If you took you car to a chassis fab shop maybe6-8 grand .

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would be cheaper to narrow my 9" myself. The housings they sell with the chassis is about $950 so it would be cheaper to narrow mine.

Upgrading the axles I have heard both necessary and not needed. I probably will but I can actually probably stick with my rear now and worry about the narrowing once I get enough money to buy all the rear internals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts