Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Just wanted to say hello. New to forums and wanted to ask some questions. Wanted to know how difficult it would be to put a 72 or older rear bumper on my 74 Nova. Can't stand the look of my 74 rear bumper with the saftey bumper and all. Any one want to give advice?

·
5,130 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Try posting your bumper question in the 3rd Gen forum.
A few here have made the swap, they'll be more likely to see it there.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Hey welcome to the site, glad to see another so-cal member. Run a search in the body and interior or the 3rd gen forums...this topic comes up regularly.

oh and btw...:pics:

post em' when ya got em:yes::D

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I agree, do a search. I'm pretty sure all you have to change is the tail panel, the bumper, and the fuel tank. Oh, and you'll neeed the tail lights for the new tail panel.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hey everybody. Just wanted to say hello. New to forums and wanted to ask some questions. Wanted to know how difficult it would be to put a 72 or older rear bumper on my 74 Nova. Can't stand the look of my 74 rear bumper with the saftey bumper and all. Any one want to give advice?
Anything can be done with enough money and time. However, that is not practical for a number of reasons.

1. The licence plate on 1973-74 Novas is in the tail light panel above the bumper; 1968-72 Novas have the plate in the bumper itself.

2. The gas fill tube on 1973-74 Novas is in the tail light panel behind the licence plate above the bumper; 1968-72 Novas have the gas fill tube behind the plate in the bumper itself.

3. You can't simply replace the rear taillight panel and gas tank because the trunk floor on 1973-74 Novas is very different from 1968-72 Novas.

So to do what you want you would have to replace the trunk floor, replace the gas tank, replace the taillight panel and tail lights just to change the rear bumper.

[OPINION]
My advice? If you don't like 1973-74 Novas, sell it and buy a 1968-72 Nova. 1973-74 Novas are unique and shouldn't be converted to 1968-72 Novas.
[/OPINION]

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Welcome to the site, some have done this switch, but it's probably more work then it's worth, for the average guy, IMO.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts