Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 74 nova with a rear bumper that is undesirable to me. i want to swap it with an earlier 68-72 rear bumper. i'd like to know what all this entails parts and labor wise. any information or leads would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Unless someone says otherwise, i believe the 73-74 filler neck for the gas tank is positioned differently than 68-72. You'd have to reposition the filler neck to get it right. Other than that its just the bumper and bumper brackets that you'd have to replace.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i have a 74 nova with a rear bumper that is undesirable to me. i want to swap it with an earlier 68-72 rear bumper. i'd like to know what all this entails parts and labor wise. any information or leads would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
73 nova mans right.... but are you saying your ok with the front bumper? lol

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
73 nova mans right.... but are you saying your ok with the front bumper? lol
it might look a little funky changing the back bumper so its tight against the car and leaving the front the way it is but imo 73-74 novas should stay exactly the way they are, i dont understand the whole changing your 73 to look like a 72'...you want a 68-72 then go buy one. Leave the 73-74's alone and sell to someone who will love it for what it is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
it might look a little funky changing the back bumper so its tight against the car and leaving the front the way it is but imo 73-74 novas should stay exactly the way they are, i dont understand the whole changing your 73 to look like a 72'...you want a 68-72 then go buy one. Leave the 73-74's alone and sell to someone who will love it for what it is.
True that! i mean i dont love it but i love my car lol so like you said if i want the early look i should of bought an earlier model :yes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless someone says otherwise, i believe the 73-74 filler neck for the gas tank is positioned differently than 68-72. You'd have to reposition the filler neck to get it right. Other than that its just the bumper and bumper brackets that you'd have to replace.
that should do, thanks for the help! :yes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a 74 and I am changing the bumpers to a 72. I am doing this because the 73-74 bumpers are ugly. It is not the fault of anyone here that Chevy decided to put such hidious bumpers on an otherwise pretty car. There is no shame in trying to make something nicer out of something so ugly.

I will post pics of my swap soon. It will include modifying the fuel filler neck, patching the current fuel opening and attaching the new bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
I have a 74 and I am changing the bumpers to a 72. I am doing this because the 73-74 bumpers are ugly. It is not the fault of anyone here that Chevy decided to put such hidious bumpers on an otherwise pretty car. There is no shame in trying to make something nicer out of something so ugly.

I will post pics of my swap soon. It will include modifying the fuel filler neck, patching the current fuel opening and attaching the new bumper.

i have no problem with tucking the bumpers and and bringing them closer to the body of the car but i was under the impression the entire front clip was going to be done (from other posts as well, not just this one) to replicate a 68-72 grille, bumpers, headlight bezels, filler, ect...that's just a pet peeve i personally have about 73-74 nova owners. They buy it and change it to look like something it really isnt. I realize to each his own but like i said, its just a personal pet peeve, look forwards to pics of your car. :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
The only way it's going to work is if you switch the tail panel to the 68-72 style with out the gas filler. The 74 bumper has a depression to allow you to fold down the license plate, the 72 bumper is strait across and won't allow you to add feul.

Since the 68-72's had the license plate/gas filler in the bumper instead of the tail panel, you will end up with two of everything. It's going to look worse than the 74 bumper.

I plan on eventually cutting and sectioning the bumpers on my 74 to give them a smaller profile. If your any good at cutting and welding, this would be your best option.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Cutting and sectioning is a great idea too. I thought of that as well and will probably try that someday. But since I have a bunch of 72 stuff sitting around and I am a cheap, lazy frenchman I will be swapping them out.

I would love to see pics of the curt and sectioned bumpers when you do it.

I would like to see what you come up with. Do you plan on switching to the older style tail panel?

·
Registered
81 Posts
bumer change to 72

yes they are different fuel necks 68-72 is in the bumper 73-74 is above the bumper i have a cell in the trunk so the 72 mounted with 72 brackets and had to weld on a plate to make up the height difference

1 - 20 of 26 Posts