Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble getting NOS rear bumper guards to fit on a stock 1964 4 door sedan rear bumper. The ones I have just will not fit over the bumper.

·
Vendor
1,728 Posts
Can you post pics of the issue or part number of the guards? My first guess is you have Full Size guards, which look similar but are wrong.

·
13,620 Posts
The problem you're having with NOS guards not fitting on stock bumpers is not a new one. My experience was fitting front and rear 1966 guards on my stock 1966 bumpers. I knew both the bumpers and guards were original pieces. None of the guards were close to fitting. Here's what I found out from my chrome guy. If your stock bumpers have been repaired/straightened, they may not have been done to original contours. If original bumpers and/or guards have had high quality re-chroming (show chrome), the multiple layers of nickel will change thicknesses. This was my problem. The bumpers were show chromed and then I had the guards done, as well. I solved the problem by having my chrome guy carefully grind the back side of my newly chromed guards so the contours matched the bumpers. The whole project ended up taking a lot of time and money (original 66/67 guards are not inexpensive) and show chrome costs a fortune. In the end, the guards fit perfectly. There are also countless stories of fitness problems with repop bumpers and guards.

Bob

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
one more thing is both were made by a different company i'm betting an each had a plus/minus on finish profile so if one is to the neg an the other to the pos thats the problem. called tolerance stack up.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
are you installing them on a stock bumper or aftermarket ? they are side specific

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Has anyone had trouble getting NOS rear bumper guards to fit on a stock 1964 4 door sedan rear bumper. The ones I have just will not fit over the bumper.
They take a bit of effort to get them to seat. properly.. they just don't slip on...

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Install bolts and mounting hardware and progressively tighten upper and lower.. the guard should " snap" into place

1 - 9 of 9 Posts