Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I finally got my front end all back together after installing the idler arm kit new tie rods and upper control arm bushings. Im happy with the way that went back together and I think the alignment guy should be too when it gets aligned.

So this morning I moved it out of the garage into the driveway (5ft) and all the sudden for whatever reason if it feels as if the E-brake is on when its not:eek: :confused: So I checked the E brake cable which looks ok and seems to move back and forth ok. I then put the rear on jack stands and removed the driveshaft and the wheels didn't want to move . So Im wondering whats the best way to release the rear brakes ? and weather or not its the brakes or the rear end :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If it can't move the wheel in either direction, it is probably the brakes. Try to take the calipers/drums off and see if they are real tight against the pads/shoes. If they are, it is probably the brakes. If not, it is something else.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought new pads for the rear drums not too ago but the drums where on there pretty good and I couldn't get them off. I went to town with a big hammer and a small tourch and had no luck getting them off:confused:

The rear drums have been on my car for a Long Time...

Nick

(atleast this happened in the driveway and not out on the road:no:)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I bought new pads for the rear drums not too ago but the drums where on there pretty good and I couldn't get them off. I went to town with a big hammer and a small tourch and had no luck getting them off:confused:

The rear drums have been on my car for a Long Time...

Nick

(atleast this happened in the driveway and not out on the road:no:)
Have you tried loosening the adjuster. It is accessable from the back of the backing plate on the bottom. there is usually a small black rubber plug.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the same problem

I have the same problem right now with my 64 with stock brakes. I think it's a bad cylinder in my case. I had to get on the gas to break it loose to get it to move out to the driveway...

There is no adjuster that I can see... at least not at the bottom on the backing plate like I'm used to.

The drum has two slots -is there a way to line those up to maybe remove the springs inside to relieve the shoes from the drum? Is that possible?

It's been a looong time since i've done drums!

Is the BFH my only hope to get this drum off?

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you shine a light in the hole in the drum and turn it so it is at the bottom you should see the adj. wheel...My 70 doesne have a hole in the backing plate at all:confused:

Otherwise ya the bfh is about your only hope i think...

·
Registered
488 Posts
don't forget guys, there is a lever keeping the adjuster from turning loose. So to loosen the adjuster you have to push the lever off from the adjuster. So best way is to secure the car with stands, get in there with a flash light and look at the lever. You'll need preferably a brake spoon and small skinny screwdriver or some long skinny rod of some sort. Use the rod to push the lever in, off the adjuster and while you're pushing on the lever, turn the adjuster with the brake spoon or screwdriver.

That lever is what adjusts the brakes when you use the park brake.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Similar thing happened to me before. It was a broken spring. Only I was going down the road at the time and the rear brake locked up. I was only going about 20mph so I got lucky.

I've had to get a tortch and cut the adjuster in half before too. Went through the hole in the backing plate and cut it in half. It was froze solid so no backing it off and the drums were wore enough that the pads caught on the lip on the drum.

Arn't drums fun!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump

So Im working on it right now and have figured out that the rear brakes do lock up intermittently...when I could spin the rear wheels freely with the car on jack-stands, I hit brakes hard and they lock up again.

Just gotta get the rear drums off...I had trouble getting them off before. What does BFH mean?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got a "BFH" and managed to free it from the axle on one side but its hung up on the brake assembly...

This is gonna be a fun job...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got the right side off and the wear on the drum appears to be tappered. Now the rear axles spin freely but the left side drum is still froze onto the axle. I took a "BFH" to it and heated it it with a plumbers torch(the only torch I have) but it still has yet to come off. I'll just keep at it....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
there should be a access hole on the lower inner area of the backing plate, or a stamped area where the hole can be punched out to access the adjuster, might have to punch it out yourself if it never has been, should be a 1" by about 1/4" piece. You'll need to loosen the adjuster or pry the hell out of the drum to get it off.

Good luck.

Make sure the car is well position on jackstands too.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you plan on replacing the drum and shoes, you can get a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder and cut it off. It will take a while, but it is a stress reliever.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I heated up wit a plubers tourch for about 5 minutes and it popped right off:eek: :D

I have a new brake shoe set for it and I know that at least 1 new brake drum. I'm not sure exactly what else to replace. The springs and wheel cylinders look OK but the rear brakes haven't been done in a long time on my car and I don't want the brakes to lock up again...

Nick

Might be able to get it on the road by this weekannd and get it aligned. :D

·
Banned
0 Posts
The spring kits are not that expensive might be worth doing,as well as the wheel cylinder.If it hasn't been done before it's not wasted money spent.:D

·
Registered
563 Posts
for the price, get the hardware kit and wheel cylinders....your there now- if a wheel cyl. goes then your new shoes will be contaminated..the hardware is dirt cheap...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts