Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wheel base is inconsistent side to side and before I blame sub-frame adjustment (or measure from there)I want to make sure the rear is correctly located/square. What are the best body locating holes from which to take measurements? Once streetable I'll get a four wheel alignment but for now I want to get it close.
I've looked at the archives and didn't see anything.
Thx in advance.....
John
PS, I see frame schematics on the Internet but nothing for a gen-three. I'd appreciate that if someone has one.

·
Registered
1972 Nova
328 Posts
A 4 wheel alignment won't help much, since the shop won't be able to adjust anything in back. The problem isn't subframe adjustment, it's a factory issue. The only way to fix it is to remove the leaf spring mounts from your axle, get everything square (there are alignment holes for the front subframe that might help you), and reweld the mounts on from there. Even if you loosen everything and line it up, the first bump you hit will put the axle back to it's current position.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, S_I.
I have a half inch difference in WB rght to left. Today I'm going to whittle some sub-frame alignment pins on the lathe and dbl ck the front but I wanted to rule-out the rear first.
The front spring eye mounts have a bit of fore and aft movement, that's what I was hoping to adjust.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Likely right. I just cut out a pr of .608 alignment pins on the lathe and they slip into the sub-frame, snugly . I know this method is not precision but should be a reasonable ballpark.
I'm going to breakout the plumbob and do an X measurement off the lower ball joint zerks.
Any other thoughts?
Thx

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Firebird. I hadn't thought of that. Yeah, I was just trying to get everything as close as possible before the alignment shop.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Depending on what kind of lower control arms you have there could be some fudge factor there as well.. Stamped arms with pressed in bushings could be wack..

·
6,502 Posts
Could the setup have the front wheel staggered for more rollout for drag racing ?.

A factory shop manual for your year should have the frame specifications in it. The one book I have for my 68 has the info in it.

Jim

·
Registered
237 Posts
This is what I would do. Basically you can take your measurements from the rocker panels on each side, this is more or less how you measure on a frame machine. You tie your car down by the bottom of the rocker panels, and square everything up from that.
Use a tape measure, and check from the front of the rocker panel ( rear of the front fender) to your axle, rear axle
and front. Years ago, I had a 68 Camaro that had damage at the front subframe mounts, from a previous accident. The subframe and front clip had been replaced, but the front sheet metal didn’t sit on it square. This was most noticeable by the hood alignment, your hood acts like a big square sitting there, and your front fender seams should be reasonably even, side to side, and front to rear.
Also the front subframe mounting bushings could be worn out, allowing the subframe to shift slightly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts