Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft in my current 307 engine. I'm building a 383 stroker and was looking at a hydraulic roller cam and lifters ($$$). If I use my current cam with an increased rocker arm ratio, would I get a usable result for street driving?

Current cam:
210/210 @0.050"
0.44"/0.44" lift
If I use a 1.7 ratio rocker: ~0.5"/0.5"

Comp cam recommended cam:
224/230 @0.050"
0.502"/0.510" lift w/ 1.5 rockers

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You’re not getting a 1.7 rocker on a small block head without grinding giant slots in the heads. So buy the right cam the first time

·
Registered
193 Posts
cant just look at lift even if it was east to put in different ratio rockers
need to pay attention to duration too, the recommended cam has alot more duration that your cam

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I usaly dont complain about the rope that is supporting me 10k ft above soft rocks.

Oh.. And I never reuse condoms or cam shafts. Just my bad habit... JR

·
Registered
455 Posts
Even if you managed to massage the heads to somehow fit 1.7 ratio rockers, your current cam is lacking on duration and still won't give you the end result you want. If you're spending to get the 383 stroker, the last place you want to skimp on is the one thing that will determine the driveability and manners of the whole combo.

I know roller cams are expensive, but with the fairly common flat tappet lifter failures that pop up often, an appropriate roller cam is cheaper than replacing a whole shortblock when the cam wipes out a lifter and destroys the main bearings...

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,426 Posts
Years ago when I was a dumbass I was rushing to re-build the 307 in the 68 I had before going overseas. Short cuts were taken due to time and money, bad idea. I reused the cam and dropped new lifters in and went through the standard hydraulic break in. All was good for a few weeks until the cam started wearing down and things went to crap fast right when I was leaving. I got it taken care of while I was gone but what a mistake. The result was it cost more to fix than the best cam and lifters. The rest of the story is painfully long but the car is gone and so is the useless ex-wife. Man I miss that car. Like lwlevens said, the cost is not worth the headache that will come and never wear anybody else's underwear. Two lessons learned today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts