Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm driving down a major street in my neighborhood and I see a sign ahead that says survey crew ahead, but when I pass the area it looks like they were doing random smog checks on the street:( I wish I took a picture anybody in cali got a clue about this?:confused:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
up by me in Norcal, I've seen it everyday this week, two mortorcycle cops (standing road block, check point) are pulling over all the semi's that go down Automall Parkway in Fremont (I'm assuming they're dodging the scales on the freeway) writing up tickets on the spot...

maybe in your case they were writing tickets for equipment violations on cars....

cities prolly needing more money since they won't be getting as much in property taxes for their budget.....

simple way to generate more revenue, write more tickets.....

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
I got caught in one of those "Survey Crew Ahead" smog checkpoints, and luckily, the car I was in was not a gross polluter (thanks to passing the smog test two months prior), so they gave me a diagnosis sheet, and let me go. In most areas where this dreaded sign is displayed, there's no room to make a u-turn, so it's up to the man in charge as to which car gets motioned over for testing. Hope everyone on this site has better luck than me, and won't get trapped like I did. RK

·
Registered
876 Posts
they had one of those set up in san juan, on camino capistrano last week, luckily I had just pulled onto the freeway and bypassed it. I was wondering what they were doing. Today there were all kinds of chp's giving tickets on the 5 in south county. Drove into San Clemente and there were 4 cruisers issuing tickets, on the way back a few more. and tonight on the way to work there were 4 more going north giving out tickets.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
The roadside smog checks seem to have been kind of a pilot study, but with the big push on greenhouse gases and such, my bet this is a more frequent sighting. Even though most of our novas are smog exempt, they will still look for any emissions stuff that need to be hooked up and issue tickets for violations. Should get interesting. They apparently are deploying remote roadside sensors that will pick out polluting vehicles and send letters with instructions to report to a smog check station or referee. I would imagine that they will hold up car registration if you don't comply.

The CHP was also VERY active on 880 in the hayward corridor yesterday... The new state order...

I also loved the thread about CARB and dark cars with a/c use. Who thinks of these things?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I wish we would see more of them done in the San Diego area, gotta love getting stuck behind a car that is bellowing out crap.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I wish we would see more of them done in the San Diego area, gotta love getting stuck behind a car that is bellowing out crap.
where are you located duane?

they do these in san diego all the time.
90% of the cars that get pulled over are the fixed up imports.
they don't care about the stock 86 corolla that is blowing smoke out the exhaust.
they care about the honda civic that has a different engine in it.

these are reasons i am probably not going to modify a import car again.

we have a local 1/8 mile track setup in qualcomm stadium parking lot.
it's called race legal and it's put on by people that want to keep racers off the street.

almost all of the cars that race there are not street legal. they don't check for that kind of stuff cause they want to keep people off the street.

quite a few times chp has setup shop outside the gates and pulled people for "modified exhaust" and gave them a ton of tickets for having illegal parts on their cars.
now i'm not saying the chp is wrong for giving them tickets for having illegal parts, you gotta pay to play...
however for them to setup out side of a place that is trying to keep streetracers off the street is one of the dumbest things i've every seen.
i personally know 15 people that got pulled over one night and got ref tickets for having modifications.
do you know how many people used to go to racelegal that don't anymore, no one i know goes unless they are driving a stock car down there.

some of the things that chp does in this state confuse the hell out of me

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I want to know if that counts as a certified smog check for the DMV? It costs about 65 bucks to get a smog check done around here. I would drive around until I found one and get a free smog check :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I want to know if that counts as a certified smog check for the DMV? It costs about 65 bucks to get a smog check done around here. I would drive around until I found one and get a free smog check :)
not a bad idea, but they don't smog every car that goes through. only the ones they think are fixed up or have illegal parts on them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
what happens

what could happen if id get pulled over(in the Nova)? Get ticketed for a law that doesn't apply?:mad:
never thought about it....what happens to the exempt car (nova) if you get pulled over or do they just skip you...i know i wouldnt pass with my 5 miles to the gallon nova..lol:devil::no:

·
Registered
996 Posts
not a bad idea, but they don't smog every car that goes through. only the ones they think are fixed up or have illegal parts on them.
never thought about it....what happens to the exempt car (nova) if you get pulled over or do they just skip you...i know i wouldnt pass with my 5 miles to the gallon nova..lol:devil::no:
they just skip you, just like most of the cars that roll through. they only stop the cars they are pretty sure are gonna make them money.

·
Registered
667 Posts
The exemption is for the biannual inspection, not the requirements for passing a smog inspection. If a police officer believes you have modified the vehicle he can issue a ticket. You will them be required to take the vehicle to a referee and have it tested. Anything he finds missing or modified you will be require to correct. Your vehicle will also have to blow clean enough to pass what ever the standard is for the year, make an model.

Local police were sending their officers for training on how to identify modified cars and/or components. Right now it seems to be used to attack the street racing crowd, but with the budget in California these days I would expect it to expand because it generates revenue and justifies certain jobs. There is a Deputy Sheriff in the La Habra area that has got a reputation for this.

What is described in this thread is random roadside testing. This is what put fear in smog technicians. If I did you a favor and passed your car illegaly, and you went down the road and got caught up in a roadside, it meant big trouble and fines.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I worked for the Bureau of Automotive Repair just before I left California. They have lots of stuff planned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts