Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few random questions I've collected

1) My driver side door seems to be missing a couple cross brace pieces that connect the outer shell to the inner door. Will these missing pieces affect the vent window assembly? (Pictures) Also included a picture of the passenger door which does have the cross brace pieces for reference.

2) Round side mirrors are sold with a smooth or ribbed base. What's the reason for the difference?

2a) Bonus question. The previous owner had power windows and thus the larger hole required for those. If I'd noticed before hand I would've had the body guy fill it in. But as it stands will a standard non powered mirror base cover the hole?

3) Does the bumper filler panel usually get painted? Would it look crazy if I don't paint it?

4) I've plan to do a bench to bucket conversion. I intend to order the weld-in conversion brackets from classic industries. I eventually want to order bucket seats from TMI when finances allow. Is there a standard bolt spacing for all seats? Or do the conversion brackets need to be welded in a spacing particular to TMI's seats? I considered just ordering the TMI brackets, connecting them to the weld-in conversion brackets then placing and welding. (Not welding down the TMI brackets obviously) If I do this will other seats attach to the TMI brackets?

5) What is this black gasket for? (Picture) I can identify all the rest of them, but I've looked all over the car three times and can't even come up with a guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
1972 Nova
376 Posts
1) The braces are probably gone because they seem to crack anyways (both of my doors have the brace cracked at the outer skin). My vent window works. You can always get some flat steel and make your own braces.

2) Looks.
2a) The remote mirrors are manual, not power. I believe it will, otherwise you can adapt a remote-adjustable mirror to fit your interior no problem.

3) They get painted argent silver from the factory, so just a little more metallic than the bare plastic most likely. You can leave it if you want, but a can of paint is $10.

5) License plate light I would bet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Almost all of them. I love an over achiever!

If the cross braces aren't important I'm going to let it go. I don't weld and the car is already painted.

"Looks" is the simplest answer ever and yet a huge help. Up until that I seriously thought base was referring to the surface that contacted the car so every time I had looked at pictures of these mirrors I had failed to notice that tiny "rib" up the back side. That's such a ridiculously small detail I can't see why both are offered.

My bad, I meant remote-adjustable, not power. I'm going to go ahead and order the non-adjustable mirror in hopes it will cover that hole I really dislike the look of the remote-adjustable ones.

I'm okay with painting the filler panel, my deal so far is that I've had a difficult time finding an okay looking silver that says it can be sprayed onto plastic. It'll have to be a paint that can flex won't it?

You may be right about that gasket, I'll look when I get home.

Thanks, sudden_impulse

·
Registered
1972 Nova
376 Posts
If you were painting the bumper cover of a car where it would need to flex, then yes, you would need a plastic adhesion promoter. If the bumper filler panel is flexing you have more issues to worry about than the paint cracking. I don't know if this will be the right color, but if you have anything else that is supposed to be argent you can paint all of it:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-12-ounce-silver-wheel-coating/hwp101/4268145
My brother and dad were saying something like the newer argent silver paints aren't the right color, but unless you're matching something existing or doing concours I doubt it matters.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great. Thanks again for the advice. I just assumed it would do some flexing being plastic. Mine isn't bolted on yet so I'm not familiar with how rigid it is.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bleh. I found out the reason the driver side door is missing those pieces of metal is because it's a '73 door. I'm pretty pissed about discovering this after the body work and paint are complete, but I guess I'm going to suck it up and find another door.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally - before I even owned a nova - that was my plan, but the vent windows have grown on me. In this case if I were going to do that I'd have to do something with the passenger door which is the correct year. Otherwise the interior panels aren't going to match up. And I'd have to come up with glass since my glass is for the correct year too. And buy window felt for a '73.

I think in the end I'll just be happier if I find the correct door. Surprisingly, the guy I bought the car from says he thinks he can get a door and swap me. If he can I'll only be out the time to mount it, and around $250 for body/paint. What's another $250? *he asks while sobbing*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts