Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) My side mirrors came in and the holes that are already in the door are too large for the screws that came with the mirrors. I know ideally I would've had them filled when the body work was being done, but being where I am (car already painted) how do I approach this? Is there a drywall anchor type of filler for automotive use? I could put a couple small wood blocks on the backside, but that's a little ghetto.

2) Any problems with this plan? My car was an AC car. Eventually I want to add AC back to it, but I also want speakers on the kick panels. I don't listen to a lot of music, but when I do I want to hear it. I haven't seen a kick panel with both speaker and AC vent. When it comes time to put AC in the car again am I going to have created any issues by going with a speaker instead of AC vent?

3) Bumpers. I've got two straight front bumpers but they both need rechroming and a rear bumper with just enough of a dent that I can't get happy with it. Have you found that it's cheaper to just buy new bumpers than to have them straightened/rechromed? I can't find anyone within reasonable driving distance so shipping costs will come into play. I know at least one of the bumpers seems to have a chrome wrap(?) the chrome is starting to peel up on the back side of the bumper - so maybe this is a cheaper style bumper and not even worth rechroming anyway?

4) There is a chrome looking ring that goes around the headlights. Thought I'd be clever and spray paint them with the same silver paint I used on the bumper filler panel. Nope. Whatever material it is didn't like that one bit, the paint bubbled up and looks awful. I'll work on taking that off, but how do I make them look good since spray painting isn't an option. I sanded a lot of chrome on the car already, but these don't look like they would clean up with sanding.

5) My plan was to spray the headlight bezels and then sand the edges of the fins to restore the chrome like I did with the hood louvers, but now I'm thinking I'll have the same problem as I did with the rings. Where the paint is chipped off I can see that the metal is very chrome, so I don't think the paint will stick. Again, what can I do? Is there a way to refurbish these myself?

And a carryover, my only unanswered question from Round 1:

6) I've got to do a bench to bucket conversion. I intend to order the weld in conversion brackets from classic industries. I eventually want to order bucket seats from tmi. Is there a standard spacing for seats? Or do the conversion brackets need to be welded in a spacing particular to tmi's seats?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,063 Posts
1) My side mirrors came in and the holes that are already in the door are too large for the screws that came with the mirrors. I know ideally I would've had them filled when the body work was being done, but being where I am (car already painted) how do I approach this? Is there a drywall anchor type of filler for automotive use? I could put a couple small wood blocks on the backside, but that's a little ghetto.
Yes, you can get "nutserts". "rivnuts", or "jack nuts", (probably some other names for them too). They're all similar type nut inserts that install into a hole similar to a pop rivet and are threaded on the inside to accept a machine screw.

2) Any problems with this plan? My car was an AC car. Eventually I want to add AC back to it, but I also want speakers on the kick panels. I don't listen to a lot of music, but when I do I want to hear it. I haven't seen a kick panel with both speaker and AC vent. When it comes time to put AC in the car again am I going to have created any issues by going with a speaker instead of AC vent?
As long as you don't mind loosing the fresh air intake through the kick panel vents, I don't think it will affect the rest of the AC system. In fact, the factory AC driver side kick panel blocks off the vent anyway, only leaving a functional vent on the passenger side. And I believe the only difference there is that it's vacuum actuated (in AC cars) vs. manually operated (in non-AC cars) so you'd just want to cap off that line to avoid a vacuum leak.

3) Bumpers. I've got two straight front bumpers but they both need rechroming and a rear bumper with just enough of a dent that I can't get happy with it. Have you found that it's cheaper to just buy new bumpers than to have them straightened/rechromed? I can't find anyone within reasonable driving distance so shipping costs will come into play. I know at least one of the bumpers seems to have a chrome wrap(?) the chrome is starting to peel up on the back side of the bumper - so maybe this is a cheaper style bumper and not even worth rechroming anyway?
Yes, in most cases I think it does end up being less expensive to purchase reproduction bumpers instead of having used ones straightened & re-chromed. Although some reproduction bumpers may be better quality than others so it would probably be worth doing some research to see what brand(s) are getting the best reviews.

4) There is a chrome looking ring that goes around the headlights. Thought I'd be clever and spray paint them with the same silver paint I used on the bumper filler panel. Nope. Whatever material it is didn't like that one bit, the paint bubbled up and looks awful. I'll work on taking that off, but how do I make them look good since spray painting isn't an option. I sanded a lot of chrome on the car already, but these don't look like they would clean up with sanding.
The retainer rings that hold the sealed beams into place are typically made of stainless steel. They might have a hard chrome finish on them that would be difficult to sand, but if you can get that off, they should polish up okay.

5) My plan was to spray the headlight bezels and then sand the edges of the fins to restore the chrome like I did with the hood louvers, but now I'm thinking I'll have the same problem as I did with the rings. Where the paint is chipped off I can see that the metal is very chrome, so I don't think the paint will stick. Again, what can I do? Is there a way to refurbish these myself?
The reaction that caused the paint to bubble up on the headlight rings might have been due to wax residue on those parts. Sometimes it takes repeated cleaning with a wax & grease remover solvent to get parts clean enough to paint.

And a carryover, my only unanswered question from Round 1:

6) I've got to do a bench to bucket conversion. I intend to order the weld in conversion brackets from classic industries. I eventually want to order bucket seats from tmi. Is there a standard spacing for seats? Or do the conversion brackets need to be welded in a spacing particular to tmi's seats?
I don't think there is any standard spacing for bucket seat mounts in general. So you'll most likely have to position the mounts to fit the TMI seats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts