Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I recently picked up a '62 Nova four door to be my new everyday driver. Unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble with her.

Most of the time she runs beautiful, idles nice, no rumble or vibration. Sometimes though, she'll lose power and hesitate. To keep the car going I have to "feather" the gas pedal in order to not stall out completely.

The car is a factory 6 cyl automatic car. I have changed the fuel pump and fuel filter in hopes that one of those were the culprit but as of yet still no change. The problem is very intermittent, sometimes the car runs beautiful and sometimes she doesn't.

I have a new fuel screen being sent to me now to go in the sending unit as I'm thinking that after sitting for a few years maybe it got gunked up or something to that effect.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas that could help me out. Thanks!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would pull the tank and use some tank sealer for starters. Rust stuck in the fuel pump diaphram does cause that symptom. You need to pull everything and clean it out. Fuel lines, carb etc. This happened to me on a Triumph. Problem went away when I sealed the tank and cleaned everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you ever had over heating issues? if so the piston rings may have separated to cause a little hesitation, you may need new rings.

·
Premium Member
1,734 Posts
hesitation

X2 on the gas tank, get gas level down to near empty and pull the sending unit, check the sock for rust and/or sediment.. new tanks are fairly cheap and if you are going to drive this car daily, it may be a good investment..

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Sounds like a leaning out condition. And that can come from a fuel delivery issue or a vacuum leak.

My fist car I owned had a similar issue. I replaced the fuel filter but I didnt know about the tank filter, I was new to the world. Had to send the car out and thats what it was, a fuel tank filter.

Fast forward 30 years and I had a similar issue with one of my cars. It has a weber carb on it and I had some stumbling on throttle tip. Was a vacuum leak. Some old rubber caps were dried and rotted. I changed to some silicon caps and so far so good. JR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna get the tank filter on this week and I'll update you on the news (hopefully good).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts