Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of competition engineering sub frame connectors. Started the assembly process, it says to remove the very end frame to body bolt. Got that out. Then it says to remove the three bolts in the rear where the leaf spring mount attaches to the body. I was able to get 2 of the 3 bolts out. the last one just continues to spin and will not come out. I drove a screwdriver between the mount and body and pryed down on it while loosening the bolt with a ratchet. It didn't work. Only other option I see is cutting the head of the bolt off with a zizz wheel. Then how do I get the rest of the bolt out? It's a blind hole, I see no access from above. I even looked inside under the back seat and nothing. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
when the spring pocket drops down after cutting off the head of the bolt, you will see a little hole that this J-nut clips onto. you will have to fish it out from there. its been done before. my friend did the same thing....J-nuts somtimes snap and thats why the bolt spins....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I buy the j bolt clip from to put back in?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Where can I buy the j bolt clip from to put back in?
since you live in GA i would say firstgen.com .... there in GA too and can call them if you get there number on line. its a 3/8" J-clip nut. i like the original style J-clips with the nut welded on the end. not sure if there still sellling the replacement style with a 1 pc design thats threaded as part of the casing or the original style....

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info bigdaddykane. This morning I went out and cut the bolt head off front leaf spring mount. I had a jack stand under it thinking it was going to fall, it didn't. I can see the rest of the bolt in the hole but don't see how it's going to come out of the small hole. Also I guess the replacement j-nut clips have to snap in the hole. Also any ideas on how to keep the leaf spring bracket down where I can sandwich the subframe connector between bracket and the rear subframe?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
You can get the J clips at most hardware stores as well. I got mine from Lowe's. With teh car in the air, the spring will drop down on it's own. Just put the connector in place, then use a jack to jack up the rear end to get the spring pocket back into place and bolt it down.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the driver side on, wow what a pain in the arse. I think I would rather install headers. I will install the passenger side hopefully tonight.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Thanks for the info bigdaddykane. This morning I went out and cut the bolt head off front leaf spring mount. I had a jack stand under it thinking it was going to fall, it didn't. I can see the rest of the bolt in the hole but don't see how it's going to come out of the small hole. Also I guess the replacement j-nut clips have to snap in the hole. Also any ideas on how to keep the leaf spring bracket down where I can sandwich the subframe connector between bracket and the rear subframe?
so did you see where the j-clip snapped? its always around the bend. the rest will come out. just get a good needle nose plyers and squash the remainding j clip thats around the bolt until its small enough to come out the hole.
really you should drop the rear of the spring first , relieve the weight from the rear end and then drop the front spring bracket to sandwich the frame connector. this way it all gets centered properly...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate all the help, I finally got her all buttoned back up. I didn't know about dropping the rear of leaf spring, mounting the front part then go to the back. I just followed the instructions that came with them. Loosen front leaf spring mount, sandwich subframe connector between rear frame rail and leaf spring mount. How critical is this, should I remove them and re-install the way you suggested. I have not driven car yet since I put them on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts