Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SNS members -

Just wondering if I need to use a donut gasket between the Ram horn manifold and the Downpipes? I picked up the newest design Pypes Downpipes and have
them mocked up but havent fully installed them yet. I dont have the heat risers or anything on my manifolds but on the Pypes downpipes there
is definitely a groove where a donut could go. Im sure someone knows.....Thanks in advance!!

Lad

·
Vendor
1,453 Posts
I would use the donuts. What does Pypes Downpipes say to do? Did they give any instruction on this?

·
Registered
902 Posts
According to install instructions no donut gasket needed

These down-pipes are designed to connect to your factory manifolds and end at the transmission cross-member.
• On many applications, the down-pipe will need to be trimmed in length to end in the cross-member humps.
• Your new down-pipe is ball flared to connect to the ball on the manifold outlet. Sometimes, the outlet diameter
on the manifold deteriorated from rust or wear, simply grind the ball flare on the down-pipe slightly to allow for correct
sealing.
On many applications, metal to metal contact is how the pipe seals, donut gaskets are not necessary.

PS: I'd like to find a pair of manifolds for SBC. The Pypes downpipes dont work for manifolds that point to the ground, so I assume your downpipe connection is angled. Only ones I see point straight to ground, not at an angle. Where did you find yours?

Thanks

Mike

·
Vendor
1,453 Posts

On many applications, metal to metal contact is how the pipe seals, donut gaskets are not necessary.
What I take from that is a vague way of saying, "follow what the manifold's manufacturer recommends." I would call them and ask how they define "many applications".

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would use the donuts. What does Pypes Downpipes say to do? Did they give any instruction on this?
I would say the instructions are vague, I am going to attempt to install donuts and see how it goes
I will post something about how it went.
Thanks
Lad

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

These down-pipes are designed to connect to your factory manifolds and end at the transmission cross-member.
• On many applications, the down-pipe will need to be trimmed in length to end in the cross-member humps.
• Your new down-pipe is ball flared to connect to the ball on the manifold outlet. Sometimes, the outlet diameter
on the manifold deteriorated from rust or wear, simply grind the ball flare on the down-pipe slightly to allow for correct
sealing.

PS: I'd like to find a pair of manifolds for SBC. The Pypes downpipes dont work for manifolds that point to the ground, so I assume your downpipe connection is angled. Only ones I see point straight to ground, not at an angle. Where did you find yours?

Thanks

Mike
Mine are GM 69-72 C10 style used ones sourced from a local Junkyard, they are both angled back style, they will work great! I H-word headers:eek:
Lad

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have the Pypes "down pipes" and I installed a donut on them just because. Works just fine even if it's not required.
I see some on the local craigslist. Might be worth a call.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The part number for the donut? I'll take a look. I think I have another one. I got it from NAPA and it was originally for a 1971 Corvette.
Vic

Yes the donut, I know I could figure it out but there are so many donuts and some of the counter people at these
parts stores just robots. They all need a part number or year - make and model to look up anything:unsure:
Thanks Vic!
I believe some time ago I purchased some trim or a part from you? Are you still working? Hope all is well! Good to hear from you!
Lad

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here you go. I have been on scheduled time off for a while. Unfortunately, I have to go back to work on Friday. I kind of like this staying home and not having to leave the house. Getting a lot of little projects done. This is a NAPA part number.

IMG_1564.jpg

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here you go. I have been on scheduled time off for a while. Unfortunately, I have to go back to work on Friday. I kind of like this staying home and not having to leave the house. Getting a lot of little projects done. This is a NAPA part number.

View attachment 402661
Vic

Thanks for your help! Good to hear from you and yes more time at home and garage so progress is being made quickly! I will run there over lunch and get some:geek:
Enjoy your week
Lad (Travis)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts