Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i had my 15x8 rear rallys wheels balanced they placed the weights on the inside of the rim. The ended up rubbing on my rear disc calipers so i removed them ( I brought the wheels in by themselves and not the car to the shop- so not blaming them).
Just wondering if weights can be placed on the outer lip and the trim rings will still seat properly.

·
6,501 Posts
From what little I've seen with putting weights in a particular spot is to balance a tire/wheel assembly and if a weight needs to go on the inside lip I don't know how that would affect things moving them to the outside lip.

You didn't state what trim rings you have but maybe grab a weight or two from a tire place or off of an old donor rim and hammer it on and see if the trim ring fits.

This may be a dying art or maybe the machines are no longer around but years ago I had the old style 295/50R15's on my car and found an old local shop that could balance the assembly on the car. Doing it this way took into account any imbalance from a drum, rotor, or whatever else was spinning on there. The one thing was you then had to keep the particular rim and tire assembly clocked in the right spot if taken off and reinstalled. I added a small dot of colored paint on the end of a wheel stud and the hole it would fit through on the rim to keep things clocked right. Tires and rims may have gotten a lot better and maybe this no longer needs to be done ?.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea Jim. I used an weight off an old wheel. It causes the trim ring to sit up a bit, maybe 3/16.
I am using the Corvette style trim rings for the rear.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
. . . . CJ . . . . you are 'dating yourself' . . . . I remember those - tire spin balancers , (on the car) too - - -
back in th' day . lol . . . . . . right there with ya , buddy .

I kinda have the same thing going on right now ; for my rally wheels = my center caps , they look
like they could ' fly - off ' going down th' road (really poor fit up next too the rim) .
So, (and I really like them) . . . . I took my center caps & drilled an 1/8th " holes across from each
side , and installed two short sheet - metal - screws . . . . (through the cap & into the rims) to keep
the caps on .

But , then I have too keep each "cap with each wheel & mark which side is which correct - hole .
Just th' price I pay . . . . . for getting 'older' ...........

have a good Day . . . . jim

Reactions: acd65post

·
Registered
77 Posts
When i had my 15x8 rear rallys wheels balanced they placed the weights on the inside of the rim. The ended up rubbing on my rear disc calipers so i removed them ( I brought the wheels in by themselves and not the car to the shop- so not blaming them).
Just wondering if weights can be placed on the outer lip and the trim rings will still seat properly.
Yes the weights should not affect the trim rings going on properly, I've balanced countless Vette 15x8"s in the past and never had an issue with the trim rings. Depending on the balancer you can you can pretty much decide where you want the weights, the new Hunter machine we have shows a series of pictures of weight placement and you can select whichever you want, works great for odd wheel offsets or large calipers ect.

·
Premium Member
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the weights should not affect the trim rings going on properly, I've balanced countless Vette 15x8"s in the past and never had an issue with the trim rings. Depending on the balancer you can you can pretty much decide where you want the weights, the new Hunter machine we have shows a series of pictures of weight placement and you can select whichever you want, works great for odd wheel offsets or large calipers ect.
This is good info. Perhaps i can mark the area of the caliper inside the rims so they can place the weight "outside" of the marked area. I was thinking the weight had to go where they placed it in order to ballance the wheel.

Twinshadows- I know exactly what you mean on the center cap fitment- I may have to do the same.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
i have rallys on my 66, 14'' front an 15'' back my weights are on the inside edge of the wheel. i've never really looked to see how far the weights miss the front calipers. an as for the center caps the backs fit nice an tight to the wheel but the fronts just no matter how i place the cap on the wheel there are spaces between the cap an wheel. the one front tire/wheel has a few weights on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
are the rally wheels like the SS from Olds? Think so.

My nephew was using for my SS wheels following staff and as you can see mounted on the outside and the ring still fits perfect.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
i have rallys on my 66, 14'' front an 15'' back my weights are on the inside edge of the wheel. i've never really looked to see how far the weights miss the front calipers. an as for the center caps the backs fit nice an tight to the wheel but the fronts just no matter how i place the cap on the wheel there are spaces between the cap an wheel. the one front tire/wheel has a few weights on it.
View attachment 408906
Seems like a lot of weight in one place. Is that tire defective?

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
at 70 mph i get no vibration an the tire is wearing perfect an ive got 5500 miles on them.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Seems like a lot of weight in one place. Is that tire defective?
"defective" . . . . 'maybe the driver' .................................................. "He drives A NOVA "

just kidding , Mike , . . . and, that is alot of 'weight in one spot' . . . but,
whatever works . . . (y) . . . good too go .

jim

ps =
Diana calls me " defective - all th' time " . . . . . . (brain farts) .

Reactions: Redrider66SS

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
"defective" . . . . 'maybe the driver' .................................................. "He drives A NOVA "

twinshadows there is a very good chance the driver is defective, but don't tell anyone.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Hey Mike "I get that same feeling , sometimes " (meaning = my self ) .
(just kidding - - - plus, if I had u'r beauitful Nova - - - - I'd just BE Nuts ) .

Then, a slow day around here so ; I went out and took a couple pic's of my "screwed up on ,
Rally wheel caps . . . . at least they won't fly - off and hit somebodies car going down the road .
. . . . . (they sure don't fit up very well , thus with the two screws , you don't really notice (on my car anyway . . . . . . too much of a 'plain jane' ) .

# 1 - -

# 2 - - just used two screws (no rhyme or reason) . . just two holes across from each other .

# 3 - -

then, inside the caps - - - I just mark a number on them , and , if I remove the caps . . . . . I may put a "marker dot " at the valve stem side .

works for me . . . . . jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts