Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the engine mounts it seems. All the new HP pulled the old ones apart.

With a frame support piece and the sway bar going directly under the harmonic balancer, I don't see how I can support the engine for replacing the engine mounts.

I don't know if I can push up on the oil pan behind the engine cradle or not, without ruining the oil pan seal or deforming the oil pan. I guess if I use a 2x4 to spread the weight it might work?

What are the trick(s) to supporting the engine in a 3rd Gen Nova for replacing the engine mounts?

It's raining today, so I hope to take care of this today if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
A piece of 2X4 on a floor jack is enough. Under the deep part of the pan. Just raise it slowly. You may want to remove the distributor cap, and please watch your fingers.
Brandon

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You could always support it in place or raise it up an inch or so with an engine hoist!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it with a 2x4 just in front of the deep portion of the oil pan.

The engine started to swing back as raided it and wrestled with trying to get the bolts back in. Had to lower it just to get the mounts to line up enough to re-install the bolts. So maybe we got a little carried away with the lifting.

By the way, anyone who plans to use Energy Suspension Polyurethane engine mounts, plan on buying longer (1/4") bolts. These mounts have a 'pre-load' plate that mounts behind the polyurethane plate against the engine. The factory bolts are just not long enough to get them started in the block and properly torque them down!

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I've always taken the distributor cap off, fan shoud if you have one, and jacked the engine up from the bottom of the bell housing. You only have to go up about an inch. Jacking it up from the oil pan is to risky, IMO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, I wasn't to hip on raising it with the oil pan for the reasons given originally. But it worked out ok.

I considered farther back on the engine, like you suggested, but I was afraid it would put more stress on the drivetrain since we were farther back on the engine. We might have to lift higher to get the same movement up in front.

As it turned out, luckily our 35 year old shroud got busted when I leaned on it too much last month so we didn't have to remove it to get the clearance. Took us 4 hours++ for the drivers side. It took me 90 minutes on the other side by myself. Learning curve??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts