Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys. Here is the deal. I am putting Original CL Steel Wheels back on the 72 SS. I have new BFG Radial T/A's on the way from Tire Rack. Do I mount the Tires with the raised white letter face up? Or black wall face up?

Right now I am leaning toward black wall face up. The rims are Pewter Silver (body color) and the car has a black vinyl top.

Just looking for suggestions, pictures, and opinions.

Thanks,
-Dave

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I've always been a fan of raised-white-letter tires. It doesn't give the car the original look, but I like it.

Jason

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
As you can see from mine, I preferred black walls on mine. I think each car looks different depending on what chrome and color is on the car.
If I had bought white letter tires, the letters would be showing though.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
72-SS-L48 said:
Ok Guys. Here is the deal. I am putting Original CL Steel Wheels back on the 72 SS. I have new BFG Radial T/A's on the way from Tire Rack. Do I mount the Tires with the raised white letter face up? Or black wall face up?

Right now I am leaning toward black wall face up. The rims are Pewter Silver (body color) and the car has a black vinyl top.

white walls are cool. if you put black walls out, the tires may take on a ballon appearance. best of luck.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
I think it all depends on car color, type of wheels, and looks of the car in general. Some look very good with the blackwall showing, while others look very good with the white letters. I lean toward the raised white letters myself.

Don (JMO)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xinloi44 said:
I think it all depends on car color, type of wheels, and looks of the car in general. Some look very good with the blackwall showing, while others look very good with the white letters. I lean toward the raised white letters myself.

Don (JMO)
The car is Pewter Silver which is almost like a Light Green / Silver color, with a Black vinyl top. The steel wheels are painted Pewter Silver body color.

Now this is getting really tough. I am thinking black wall, you guys are saying raised white letter. Any one have pictures of steel wheels and black walls on a 3rd gen. Nova, and a picture of steel wheels and raised white letter on a 3rd gen. Nova?

·
3,876 Posts
While not technically a Nova here is my silver Ventura with the blackwalls out.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
well just my personal preference but I like the black wall out....:cool:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I like them black out! I used to dig RWL, but the tastes have def changed.

Kev

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I have always been a plain jane sort so I say Black walls out. I just feel like they give the car a cleaner smoother look. Heaven forbid if the white letters get scraped they look like crap!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses. I think I will mount the new tires black wall out. Hopefully, I can get it done in the very near future. When its all done, I will take some pictures and post them on the thread so you guys can see how it looks.

Thanks again for all your help!

-Dave

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I asked about this samething few months back. I got my car with new tires already mounted, and the letters were on the inside on my car, so I removed them and blacked out the letters and reinstalled with letters on inside. To me it gives a cleaner look, I did not want to see raised white letters under the car standing behind the car or off to the side. Untill I buy new tires, this works for me:chev:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts