Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi and happy new year to all. is it possible to keep rain out of a convertible? top is in good shape but windows somehow don't roll up far enough. seems like all the convertible top rubber is there. any suggestions on who's the person to take the car to in orange county, ca. thanks..........

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Kimo, I have a couple of questions, but first there is no need to post a question in two different sections of SNS. When someone clicks on New Posts your thread will come up.

As for your convertible:

Do you have subframe connectors on your car? If not, perhaps the car is not straight and therefore the window rubbers do not meet up squarely. I have a lower mileage '63 SS, with rust free floorboards, but I have detected some sag in the convertible and will be installing subframe connectors to correct it. If you jack up the car and the doors move I'd suggest installing connectors before doing anything else.

Where is it leaking, around the windows only? Is it leaking while the car is stationary, or moving? Some window adjusting could be done if the windows are out of alignment. However, if they are out of alignment, it may be a subframe issue, not a window and door issue.

Something else to be remembered is that our old convertibles do not seal up nearly as well as the newer convertibles built in the past 15 years. The difference is night and day actually.

Do the tests with the subframe first and see if your windows seal up any better. Hopefully another convertible owner will come up with other suggestions. Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress, Ed

Edit: I wanted to add that when these cars were new they leaked. Like I said before, they never sealed like modern convertibles.

·
Registered
809 Posts
One thing you need to look at on the door glass is the lower channel.When you roll up the window as far as it will go do you see rust at the base of the door glass?This window channel acts as a seal as it rolls up into the top of the door.When this channel is rusty it cant slip between the 2 seals at the top of the door,when you force the window up you will see it contact the seals in the door and force them out,not allowing the channel to slide into place and sealing the top of the door if the channel is rusty.If the channel is rust free you will see this channel roll up in between the 2 door seals,one on each side at the top of the door opening.Another place for a water leak is at the front edge of the door.If the weather striping is shot it wont seal the front of the door allowing water to leak into the car.These cars leak like a sieve so I do my best to keep them dry,I did this with my 64 HT and Im doing it now with my 63 convertible.When ever it rains I dry out any water that gets in the car.Im in the process of completely sealing the floor in the 63,if it does get wet it wont penetrate the coating at hit bare metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts