Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '69 with manual steering the original coupling " rag joint" had a wire that was attached. is this some kind of ground? The new replacement one i have does not have this. will this cause me any problem, if so, what? Appreciate help as I'm getting ready to put steering back together.

·
6,503 Posts
I have to think this connection on the old rag joint was for the horn circuit. If it is not in place or missing then that portion of the horn circuit might try and find a ground through the column bearings.
It's been a while since I looked at the steering coupler for my 74 but I would think if the old one is good you could transfer it over to the new one. If push comes to shove you could get a small section of wire, crimp on some emds and make your own. You just want to keep it short to where it doesn't get snagged on anything while the coupler is rotating. The wire gauge can be very small as this portion of the horn circuit is just activating the coil section of the horn relay which should be 1A of surrent or less.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts