Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car is not running and key switched to accessory the radio plays great. Crisp and clear. Once the car is running the static is sometimes unbearable. Always there at different levels of annoyance. Is this a grounding issue? Ignition shielding, what ever that consists of? Any thoughts. It is a retro sound radio if that matters. Never had the working original.

·
6,497 Posts
I've heard of this issue before with the custom autosound units before BUT who knows what era radio you have. Maybe do a search and see what shows up.
I never kept up with a solution but it could be a grounding issue (radio and/or in other places) or possibly just a poorly designed unit or even issues internally on the radio (like dried out capacitors).

Jim

·
Registered
185 Posts
Check your coil and ignition wires. If thy are old or damaged you could be getting static from them. If the static rises with RPM this is even more likely the problem.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
if it changes with the engine rpm it is usually the condenser in the distributor if you have one. At least that's what we used to change back in the day to get rid of it.

·
Registered
9,960 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. When I initially installed the radio it was not an issue. Seems to be getting worse. I will look into the grounding aspect, and the condenser and coil wire are an easy check. I have spare of both. Check the easy things before I get out the money hose.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
that's the condenser I was talking about. Did it fix the problem?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I live in the Seattle area I have been hesitant to go to NAPA. Was going to order it online but then while looking through my inventory I found I have a pertronix module and new coil I could replace the old points and condenser with. Started to do it this morning but I'm really curious about it and whether that is the issue. I have a new condenser but I think it was for a different engine. I think it is for a 350 corvette engine. Shouldn't matter should it? The condenser doesn't know what make and model engine it is in. 350 or 327 V8 should be the same? Now the sun is out and I'm going for a drive. I'll do it without the radio for now.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
the condenser you have should work. I was looking at the price on the web page you posted. That's ridiculous. Seems like they used to cost a buck or two when I was a kid. Changed them every time we tuned our rides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When the car is not running and key switched to accessory the radio plays great. Crisp and clear. Once the car is running the static is sometimes unbearable. Always there at different levels of annoyance. Is this a grounding issue? Ignition shielding, what ever that consists of? Any thoughts. It is a retro sound radio if that matters. Never had the working original.
Try some resistor spark plugs. We did this years ago to solve ignition static in the radio.
Good luck!

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,482 Posts
Try some resistor spark plugs. We did this years ago to solve ignition static in the radio.
I agree with the above statement... and there are certain types of spark plug wires that could cause radio static when the engine is running.
What type of spark plug wires are you currently using?... Solid core?... Spiral core?... RFI suppression?
Do you know the ohms of resistance per foot of the spark plug wires? (sometimes this info is printed on the wire jackets)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check the capacitor in the charging system also depending what you have stock upgraded etc... Check grounds on these cars they break all the time body, battery for acid build up...sometimes they had one right to the alternator and check above mentioned things also.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know what type plug wires I have. I will take a look this evening and replace the condenser. I do however have resistor spark plugs. The electrical system is still all stock except for headlight relay. One thing is I recently replaced the battery and the quality of the sound was initially much better and I thought maybe that was somehow the issue. Turns out it wasn't. Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day so I will report back about the new condenser after another drive.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know what type plug wires I have. I will take a look this evening and replace the condenser. I do however have resistor spark plugs. The electrical system is still all stock except for headlight relay. One thing is I recently replaced the battery and the quality of the sound was initially much better and I thought maybe that was somehow the issue. Turns out it wasn't. Tomorrow is supposed to be another beautiful day so I will report back about the new condenser after another drive.
Are you referring to the horn rely? Try a ground to that also. What part or parts did you change when the noise started? I will tell you if your problem started after the relay replace ment. That could be your problem. The aftermarket ones are garbage and don't have the correct resistance. I payed big bucs for an oem nos one. I looked recently and the price is crazier now from when i bought it 8 years ago. It won't cost you a dime if you do grounds 1st. There should be one to the valve cover to the firewall, one at the front oil pan to the front cross member. Look for corrosion at the negative terminal even a little will effect it. Hook up a secondary ground to the battery to the radiator support. Make sure the ends are clean and not on a painted surface. As i said this step should be done 1st and cost the least and should be there anyway. Is your car in stock form? ignition? carb? What else have you changed? What brands? A lot of the aftermarket parts are crap. Try to go with a name brand not the cheap crap that's out there. I hope this helps! Good luck! Let us know what happens. 1 other thought is your battery good? If it is weak the regulator will surge voltage especially if an external style.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,530 Posts
Since I live in the Seattle area I have been hesitant to go to NAPA. Was going to order it online but then while looking through my inventory I found I have a pertronix module and new coil I could replace the old points and condenser with. Started to do it this morning but I'm really curious about it and whether that is the issue. I have a new condenser but I think it was for a different engine. I think it is for a 350 corvette engine. Shouldn't matter should it? The condenser doesn't know what make and model engine it is in. 350 or 327 V8 should be the same? Now the sun is out and I'm going for a drive. I'll do it without the radio for now.
When I bought my Pertronix system they told me that I should run their brand of spark plug wires so I bought a set. Could have just been trying to sell me the wires but could have been they were needed for a purpose.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts

Hello,
Along with checking grounds and other connections , I know there are filters available for this problem that can be inline installed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts