Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nova experts,

I have an aftermarket stereo system installed in my 1966 nova with a Ken Harrison classic car audio bracket, identical to this:

Question: Did the previous owner have to cut the dash in order to get this thing in? I have the instruction sheet in front of me for the Ken Harrison, and it does not specify. I'd really like to buy something that looks a bit more original to the stock radio (plus all I need is an iPod jack), such as the following and install it in my car:

Your thoughts? Wondering if this can be done before simply tearing out the current stereo system.

·
Registered
847 Posts
no need to cut up the dash to fit that piece. Batman09 can verify.
The hole in the dash for the radio is as big as the outside perimeter of the bracket.

·
Registered
594 Posts
When you get the new raido are you going to possibly sell the old mounting bracket? i cant find one anywhere :D

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Novacain 1

Check out this site there might be some interest to you. also I have a spare stock 66 radio (not working) it may have brackets will have to check. also a stock front speaker, not sure if I want to sell yet. It does have a tear but not a big fix.

I might consider a trade for what you have. I have not checked prices yet. but if yours is in very exceptional condition I might consider. after you check this site. which will do anything from making stock AM to FM to I-Pod let me know

http://www.taymanelectrical.com/

You can PM me or Post,

Ross

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
no need to cut up the dash to fit that piece. Batman09 can verify.
The hole in the dash for the radio is as big as the outside perimeter of the bracket.
No the previous owner did not cut the dash....that first bezel is made to fit in the stock hole.The second bezel will fit right in.The 1 thing you should know is I had the setup you now want.....I had the second belel with the custom autosound usa1 am/fm radio.It was a giant piece of junk:eek::mad:Thats why I went with a pioneer.I love it.bm

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
BM,

Where did you install your rear speakers?, I'm trying to stay somewhat stock but want new sounds
I'm now running a stock radio and using my Garmin GPS for MP3 play back, would appreciate any feedback.

Ross
I have i dual voice coil speaker in my package tray.your car being an ss yo should have 2 stock holes cut in your package tray for 6x9 speakers.I also kick panel speakers and 2 4" speakers in my dash.bm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you get the new raido are you going to possibly sell the old mounting bracket? i cant find one anywhere :D
Heh, I don't think I even have mounting brackets installed in my current setup. I used a flashlight looking down into the dash pad vent, and can clearly see tie straps holding the back of the radio up. I always love finding funny stuff that the previous owner did. :turn:

Ross, I'll keep your offer in mind...thanks also for the link, I hadn't thought of something like that. Batman thanks for the confirmation about the dash not being cut. That's a relief.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts