Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the dome light switch control the brightness of the radio lights? I just bough a factory 68 raduio and not sure how to hook it up. It only have a 3 wire plug. 12V ground and speaker. Should the dial be light up anytime it's on?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi Nova_Guy,

According to the wiring diagrams I have, the 68-71 radios are wired up a little differently than the 72-up ones.

The 68-71 diagrams I have show only 2 wires (yellow power & black ground) that come from the under-dash harness. It's not shown on my diagram, but there is usually an intermediate harness that contains the speaker wiring. The intermediate harness plugs into the back of the radio and the connector from the under-dash harness plugs into the intermediate harness.

The 72-up diagrams show 3 wires that come from the under-dash harness. Yellow power and black ground with the addition of a grey wire for the dial light. So the 72-up radios do have the dial light switched separately and controlled by the dash light brightness control. While it appears as though the 68-71 radios would have the dial light on at full brightness whenever the radio is on.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that is what I was thinking. So when I hook mine up I just need to hook into a "Keyed" hot circuit to make the radio light up when it's turned on.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
I just need to hook into a "Keyed" hot circuit to make the radio light up when it's turned on.
Yes, just hook the radio to a keyed circuit and you'll be all set. The dial light is wired internally so it'll be switched on and off right along with the radio.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts