Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorting through my radio parts and trying to ID the loose faders. I think this one is Nova, can anyone confirm? If yes, what years? Would it be correct for a '66?

Many thanks :yes:

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think that is a 66 67 fader . Doesnt the 66 67 style knob have 3 ribs on it?
I have a 3 rib one as well, but my understanding that is Chevelle and possibly Corvair.

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
fader

Looks like the one I have off a 63... may be correct only for 62-65.. I am not sure what the two knobs on the right are from..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,855 Posts
This is the first info that I've read about the Nova radios so I'm curious. Would it be possible to post a photo of the back side of the fader? Also, do you know just how the fade worked? Did it do a front to back fade?

·
Super Moderator
4,686 Posts
I had one in a '65. It's a front to back, as a rear speaker was an option, even in wagons. Remember, no stereo units through '67 at least unless you had the rare combo of a stereo multiplex and AM/FM radio in a '65, the only year offered for 1st or second generation cars.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I do remember when the first FM station went on the air here in S.E. Georgia. Nobody had an FM radio in their cars but when they came out with the FM to AM converters, we all jumped on them. They were a little bit expensive at first but as time when on and electronics matured, they got cheaper.

Being an electronics guy myself, I'm curious as what electronics they had behind the knob. I'm thinking just a potentiometer to divide the signal between speakers.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
1,054 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am resurrecting it because I have one identical to the original post by SouthBay2s. If it is not for a 66/67 does anyone have a photo of one that would be from a 67? I'm also curious about the connection from the end of the fader switch to the radio. Trying to gather up parts to get my 67 back to original.
Victor

·
14,927 Posts
The 1965 Chevy II AM/FM/Stereo was a $244 option, plus another $13 for a rear seat speaker. This was a ton of money to get the few FM stereo radio stations that were on the air in 1965. Obviously, it was ahead of it's time, because according to Novaresource.org, only 260 were factory installed in '65. It never appeared again until 3rd generation Chevy IIs/Novas.

Bob

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
1,054 Posts
My cowl tag for options is 2LR. 4 speed and rear seat speaker. I found the fader switch in a box of stuff that came with the car along with some of the wiring. Of course some of the wiring has missing ends. Now I'm thinking the fader is not what actually goes with this particular car. I am in the process of putting an AM radio and dash speaker in and thought it would be nice to put the rear speaker in while I was at it.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Was going to work on my '65 radio a little while today and came back to this old post. Nobody ever did attach a photo of the back side of the fader knob. I'm still wanting to see what it looks like. I'm installing all new components in my radio so I'm looking for a fader. Will post in Wanted.

·
6,826 Posts
While not a 60's GM fader, this is from a 70's that I "think" I bought years ago but only took one picture of it that I can find.

From what I can barely see is there is a male nub that probably goes into a hole by the radio's shaft nut and the fader slips over the smooth tuning shaft to where then a notched back knob slipped onto it to fade between the front and rear speaker.

The above with the flat style 3 wire connector might have plugged into either an external harness outside of the radio chassis or possibly plugged onto a port ?.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Thanks for the photo Jim. I can see how your potentiometer could be used. Good description.
I've never seen the back side of an original '65 fader, I was hoping to see what the wires would be connected to on the knob.
I'm working on a project to incorporated a Bluetooth/Power amp module and I really need to see what GM used to fade the
speakers. My car originally had the front and rear speakers but the radio was missing when I bought it. Any help anyone can
give me will be greatly appreciated. Sam

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Alright, now I see what they did. Definitely a special POT that most likely would never be found. From the looks of it, I'm
thinking the POT's power rating would be sufficient so it would handle the full speaker output of the radio's amplifier. That's
the way they would have had to do it back in the days of mono amplifiers. I have a radio I bought on eBay that I'm going
to use for the modification but if I were to modify that radio with a 100 watt amp, the POT would not have enough power
capability to handle an amplifier with that much output.

FYI, I found an NOS Fader Pot online yesterday and bought it. I will use it with the NOS AM Radio I have. If the modification
radio doesn't work out, I'll do a bluetooth mod on the NOS radio and just use the original mono power amplifier even though
it's only 5 watts. Believe it or not, a 5 watt radio can be very loud as long as you don't overdrive it. o_O

So you see I have two radio mods on paper to try. It's hard to talk about both of the mods in one post but if all goes as planned I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Alright, now I see what they did. Definitely a special POT that most likely would never be found. From the looks of it, I'm
thinking the POT's power rating would be sufficient so it would handle the full speaker output of the radio's amplifier. That's
the way they would have had to do it back in the days of mono amplifiers. I have a radio I bought on eBay that I'm going
to use for the modification but if I were to modify that radio with a 100 watt amp, the POT would not have enough power
capability to handle an amplifier with that much output.

FYI, I found an NOS Fader Pot online yesterday and bought it. I will use it with the NOS AM Radio I have. If the modification
radio doesn't work out, I'll do a bluetooth mod on the NOS radio and just use the original mono power amplifier even though
it's only 5 watts. Believe it or not, a 5 watt radio can be very loud as long as you don't overdrive it. o_O

So you see I have two radio mods on paper to try. It's hard to talk about both of the mods in one post but if all goes as planned I'll keep you guys posted.
thanks for keeping us in the loop. looking to mod my stock '63 radio so will be following intently. i have one NOS front speaker but hopefully mod will still work. though i think a fader may be in a bag somewhere, i'll stick with the mono.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
3,785 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was a 65 NOS am/fm radio for sale on her for around $4500 U.S.- There was a lot of discussion about it at the time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.