Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car 65 nova came with a antenna but no radio. The stock radio was AM only, I plan on AM/FM install do I need a different antenna? The old one look OK and seems to work OK moving it up and down. Randy:chev:

·
Registered
71 Posts
radio

My car 65 nova came with a antenna but no radio. The stock radio was AM only, I plan on AM/FM install do I need a different antenna? The old one look OK and seems to work OK moving it up and down. Randy:chev:
If it was stock antenna it will work fine on FM. The Am side just needed a wire basically to work . Most radios in that time period that were AM /Fm had a tuner adjustment screw to match radio to antenna . It is located right near where the antenna plugs in the radio. Tune in a weak Fm station and tune for maximum signal.

·
6,502 Posts
I'm thinking too that 31" was ideal from years ago when I installed antenna's on cars.

The older analog AM radio's did have an antenna trimmer on them but the newer digital radio's do not have them.

I've bench checked radio's through the years and even a short length of wire or a small diameter screwdriver pushed into the center of the antenna plug gets most stations to come in.

Some antenna's on the underside had the coax connection pushed or threaded onto the antenna assembly under the fender and I have seen these become corroded over time but I would get the new radio in and see how it does.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buy a cheap AM/FM car antenna with an adjustable mast. The length can be changed, to allow better reception in places where multipath is a problem. The higher mass of the mast picks up the signal better, so range will be less of an issue but it still won't be great in all locations.

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
According to my figures 28.68" is ideal in the middle of the FM band at 98Mhz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts