Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to scavange a radiator sometime this week and am wondering what im looking for in size for a 350. if there was a ton of room i would just grab something off a newer truck and throw it in, but from what i have been looking at here on the site, people seem to have issues with fitment on the rad support.

my car didnt come with one so i had nothing to compare to as to how exactly it sits on the support.

also, I know where the thermostat goes, but what about the temp sensor? where does it go and is there a certain type i should buy or is it something that is universal in nature?

·
Registered
567 Posts
i pulled my aluminum rad from my 78 c10 before i sold it. removed the support on my 73 nova and welded in two lower tabs to mount it to. its a laaaarge radiator and it looks like its going to get tons of airflow.

what year is your nova?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 68, and im not afraid of just rigging things up so they work until i find a way to do it "proper' i was thinking of just going to pickn pull and pulling something out of a more recent 1500 or something.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i actually saw that one when i was checking out other threads about radiators.

quick question, I have found one on kijiji, says 70-90's gm rad, 20 inches tall and 28 or so wide.

seems to be the right height but i dont know if it will be too wide or not.

but i also have no idea how to plumb a rad, i know the hose on top goes to my intake on the manifold and the bottom one is from the water pump. but i noticed a couple smaller lines on the side with the cap and return hose, are those for an overflow reservoir or what?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i actually saw that one when i was checking out other threads about radiators.

quick question, I have found one on kijiji, says 70-90's gm rad, 20 inches tall and 28 or so wide.

seems to be the right height but i dont know if it will be too wide or not.

but i also have no idea how to plumb a rad, i know the hose on top goes to my intake on the manifold and the bottom one is from the water pump. but i noticed a couple smaller lines on the side with the cap and return hose, are those for an overflow reservoir or what?
i just went out and measured the old one and it was about 18.5 tall, i just ordered a new one from summit and its 19 tall i think thats even pushing it a bit, but a member on here said it fit in his car ok so i went with it, wont have it till next week, width wise you have plenty of room. the one i ordered is 31" wide ill have to open up the rad support to get more freee space, but thats ok .. the old one was about 27 wide ,hope this helps , the lines on the side are trans cooler lines is you have a manual trans just plug em you dont need them ,

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
CC571 Champion is a direct bolt in for the 3rd Gen for about $200.:yes:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
CC571 Champion is a direct bolt in for the 3rd Gen for about $200.:yes:
cc571 is the same radiator that i currently have installed just put it in last week and my car is overheating ,due to cfm problems and my a/c condenser not being able to be moved closer to the radiator,i must say tho the quaility of that radiator is very good i wish i didnt have to send it back but i do..

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just went out and measured the old one and it was about 18.5 tall, i just ordered a new one from summit and its 19 tall i think thats even pushing it a bit, but a member on here said it fit in his car ok so i went with it, wont have it till next week, width wise you have plenty of room. the one i ordered is 31" wide ill have to open up the rad support to get more freee space, but thats ok .. the old one was about 27 wide ,hope this helps , the lines on the side are trans cooler lines is you have a manual trans just plug em you dont need them ,

ok cool, that makes things alot easier.

i will try to locate a rad within 19 high and 28 wide then and not rush things.

lastly, i know that at the rad cap, there is a hose that goes down from it, that goes to a reservoir correct? how do you plumb the reservoir to send fluid back to the rad?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am going to scavange a radiator sometime this week and am wondering what im looking for in size for a 350. if there was a ton of room i would just grab something off a newer truck and throw it in, but from what i have been looking at here on the site, people seem to have issues with fitment on the rad support.

my car didnt come with one so i had nothing to compare to as to how exactly it sits on the support.

also, I know where the thermostat goes, but what about the temp sensor? where does it go and is there a certain type i should buy or is it something that is universal in nature?
I will post some pictures and measurements of my 68!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts