Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting a radiator shroud on my '66 w/ a 283. The radiator is stock and there is a spacer between it and the core support.

The issue I'm running into is that the flanges where the radiator attaches to the spacer are on the front of the radiator. So I'm guessing that I will have to buy some 4" bolts and nuts to attach the shroud to the radiator and spacer?! :confused:

Does this sound right or is there something obvious that I'm missing here? By the way, the shroud is from Classic and required some modifying to fit just right against the radiator. :eek: Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I'm not sure I understand your problem, but on mine I have 1/2" bolts bolting the Rad to the spacer, then 1/2" bolts that bolt the spacer to the core support.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I'll see if I can explain it a little more clear than mud. :)

The spacer attaches to the core support with four bolts. The radiator attaches to the spacer with four bolts. The shroud should then attach to the radiator, but the bolts that hold the radiator to the spacer aren't nearly long enough because the shroud lays flat on the radiator. So in order to bolt the shroud to the radiator, I'd have to get some bolts that are around the width of the radiator to reach the location where the radiator connects to the spacer. Hopefully my picture helps clear things up.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Ok, I get it. Mine is different. My Radiator and spacer, have mounting tabs on both sides. To answer your question, I see no other way of doing it other than your idea about the long bolts. I'd maybe make some sleeves for the bolts to go through to make it a little more rigid.

·
13,987 Posts
I think the problem here is the stock rad. The 283s normally had the spacer but no shroud, thus no mounting tabs for one on the rad. 327s had a shroud, but no spacer. These rads had tabs on both sides, one set for attaching to the core support and the other to attach the shroud. As you mention, you can solve the problem by using very long bolts. I've seen this done, but it looks pretty strange IMO.
Bob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CdnL79 said:
I think the problem here is the stock rad. The 283s normally had the spacer but no shroud, thus no mounting tabs for one on the rad. 327s had a shroud, but no spacer. These rads had tabs on both sides, one set for attaching to the core support and the other to attach the shroud. As you mention, you can solve the problem by using very long bolts. I've seen this done, but it looks pretty strange IMO.
Bob
That's why I was having doubts before proceeding... I thought they would look pretty weird too. For now I think I'm going to use the bolts with some black pvc to try and give it a little more support, but I will have to look into another radiator down the road. Thanks for everybodies help. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've starting trying to button up everything and even with the trimming that I've done to the shroud, is it possible that a spacer, radiator and shroud just wont fit my application? It's looking like it wont and I'm affraid this just became an expensive lesson. (new shroud, bolts, ect.) If anybody else has both a spacer and a shroud on their '66 with a stock 283, I'd sure like to hear that it works. :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
stack03hd said:
I've starting trying to button up everything and even with the trimming that I've done to the shroud, is it possible that a spacer, radiator and shroud just wont fit my application? It's looking like it wont and I'm affraid this just became an expensive lesson. (new shroud, bolts, ect.) If anybody else has both a spacer and a shroud on their '66 with a stock 283, I'd sure like to hear that it works. :confused:

I feel your pain buddy. Had the same problem 0n my '66, I had the spacer and radiator but no shroud, so I got mine from chevy II only. After I got it I saw there was no way to mount it to the radiator.(without it looking like crap) . Plus with the spacer the whole set up was too close to the engine(all of fan inside shroud). So I got ill and bought a alum.bolt in radiator from a guy on e-bay. Looks and works great now..:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a 67 SS and used long bolts and 1/2 emt conduit cut to length to attach the shroud to the radiator. Then I attached that assembly to the core support. I was going to paint the emt black. But the setup did not keep the engine cool enough so I went with the Summit radiator and the taurus electric fan setup.
I still have the setup including the old core support in the garage.
I did not use the shroud after all. I also have a 6 cyclinder shroud that is a little thinner than the V8 model.

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
My original 275 hp 327 does not have the fan shroud. Just the rad spacer and the crappy 4 blade fan. I plan on buying the l79 rad from C2O. Has anybody else bought the fan shroud and had to modify it??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts