Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My suggestion would be to go with a 75-79 Nova overflow tank. You can find used ones on Craigslist or Ebay usually. Most junkyards dont have cars that old these days, but sometimes you get lucky. I found one on Ebay and bought it, cleaned it up, installed it, and it works great! It fits on the side of the battery up underneath the passenger side fender.

Classic Industries is supposed to make brand new reproduction versions of this tank, however when I called back in the summer they said they wouldnt be ready and available for sale until 6-12 months from then. So I just found one on Ebay and called it a day.

Thought I had a photo of mine somewhere but couldnt locate it. There may be some other threads on here with photos of what the 75-79 overflow tank looks like though.

You can also use a 73-74 overflow tank, but I dont like those as much since they mount up above your passenger side inner fender and sort of clutter up the engine bay. Its better than nothing though. I used that for a while but got tired of how it looked.

There are also numerous variations of universal overflow tanks available through places like Jegs or Summit. Many people on here have used those with good luck as well.

For me I preferred the 75-79 tank since it was stock looking, mounted easily in a stock location, and was almost completely out of sight in the engine bay.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
My car doesn't overflow, but at the track one is required so I use my windshield wiper bottle. :D

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I used to puke out coolant on the ground with no can. I did not want just a "puke tank" feeding in from the top, I wanted the coolant to be drawn back into the system when it cooled back down.

So I have this one on my '68:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-300102/

It's mounted to the fan shroud.

I have a hose going from the rad cap to the BOTTOM of the can with the valve open, and then another hose running from the 90* fitting up top to the ground which acts as an overflow and also an air bleed.

I have not lost a drop of coolant since installing it.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The 75-79 overflow tank also feeds back into the radiator so you never lose any coolant. The overflow line from the radiator hooks up by the cap, however inside the tank there is a separate line built into it that feeds down to the bottom of the tank, so whatever goes in there will get sucked back in.

If you have lots of old Novas in your junkyard consider yourself lucky, I havent seen one once all summer at the ones near me. I had to get mine off of Ebay.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 75-79 overflow tank also feeds back into the radiator so you never lose any coolant. The overflow line from the radiator hooks up by the cap, however inside the tank there is a separate line built into it that feeds down to the bottom of the tank, so whatever goes in there will get sucked back in.

If you have lots of old Novas in your junkyard consider yourself lucky, I havent seen one once all summer at the ones near me. I had to get mine off of Ebay.
There are hundreds of late 70's nova here, the question is are the res tanks going to be in good shape

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
There are hundreds of late 70's nova here, the question is are the res tanks going to be in good shape
where are all these junkyard novas please advise so i can come and pick them clean , thanks , i still have that radiator , do you still need one?

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I'D JUS' GRAB ONE FROM THE LOCAL PARTS STOREOR HIT THE WRECKIN' YARD AND GET ONE! :yes:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
where are all these junkyard novas please advise so i can come and pick them clean , thanks , i still have that radiator , do you still need one?
theres ecology in Santa Fe Springs, pick your part, ecology in wilmington I found a 66 nova almost complete there. Jimr yes I still need the radiator just to find the time, besides if you come this way for the junkyards drop it off. LOL besides all the Novas in the junkyard are 4th generation.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so today while at the junkyard I found with eazy a 77 camaro and a 69 nova side by side what are the chances, so the nova did not have the radiator overflow canister but the camaro did so I unbolted the canister and tried it on the nova to my surprise it fit perfect on the nova. for $5 that it costed I think that was a great deal. :yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts