Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a rad catch can. Nothing fancy ,one like the picture.( a random photo I found on the web,....ok, ok it is a ford) :eek:

I am curious about the location of the can in the picture. Is the function of the can to only catch overflow, or to also deliver the fluid back to the rad if required? Can the rad suck the fluid back up or is this location too low?

There is a valve at the bottom to drain can.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
It's just a catch reservoir for the overflow or overflow tank. The petcock is to drain the fluid. If you're looking for a reservoir that will return the overflow back into the system, you'll need to use a recirculating-type tank.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I remember back years ago I guy I knew had a Jack Daniels bottle mounted as an overflow. Would have been really ******* if he hadn't done it up so nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
When I bought my car, the previous owner was using a plastic oil bottle as a catch can, I installed headers and they met one day and it melted all over them, but luckily never caused a fire. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I put my radiator overflow tank just north of the battery. Autozone, 10 bucks. Hose from rad. neck to the bottom of the can. Hose from the top of the can to the ground (just in case). Fluid goes in at operating temp. (about an inch or two). When car cools, fluid gets sucked back in to the radiator. Works super.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts