Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've started mocking up my MII clip and am I'm looking at mounting the rad a lttle higher than I had it in the stock clip.
It's a griffin cross flow rad, about 26" overall width. The way I've mocked up it now, the top of the rad is bascally flush with the top of the core support. What I'm worried about is the rad cap, It will be about 1.5" above that, offset about 12" to the pass. side of the core support.
Hoping soimeone can give me an idea of how much clearance is in that area.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
If your core suppoet is going to be at stock heigth I think an inch and a half is going to get really close to the hood, especially if it the cap is 12 inches off center. Could you set it up to only be an inch above the core support, it may clear then.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
I'll check my 67 tonight, but I have my Summit/Griffin/Jegs rad of the same dimensions mounted in the same way, with the radiator top lip mounted above the core support slightly, and do not have hood interference problems.

I can post a better pic when I get home.

Here's a side view:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have the same radiator in my 65 w/ heidt clip. Its close but it clears on mine.
the radiator sits on top of the frame rails. I made some homemade lower supports and a aluminum bracket that is screwed the the core support in the middle and hooks to the top center of the radiator. I know there is less than 1 inch but it never hits.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I went low as possible

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ONEBAD2 said:
I have the same radiator in my 65 w/ heidt clip. Its close but it clears on mine.
the radiator sits on top of the frame rails. I made some homemade lower supports and a aluminum bracket that is screwed the the core support in the middle and hooks to the top center of the radiator. I know there is less than 1 inch but it never hits.
I checked out your album, looks like your rad is sitting quite a bit higher than what I've currently mocked up. I'm trying a piece of 2"X2" tube as a brace between the frame rails for the front of the clip. I thought I try it under the rad, out of the way, also can support and protect the rad. The rad is sitting about 1/2" below the frame rails; these are stock rails.... are Heidts rails 2X4 or 2X3?
I could move the brace, use a 1X2 or risk it, By the look of Onebad2's stetup I'd say it should work.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NovatoriusRex said:
Here's the pic I promised of installed height with the rad cap on. It's about 1 3/4" above the core support.

Thanks; So far I've seen 2 that are higher than what I'm trying.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I assume from the responses that "rad" is Canadian for radiator?

-Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts