Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing a 4 link, and I have no problem welding to the floor pan. However, trying to weld to the rear subframe and welds are NOT sticking..... removed undercoating and ground down and looks clean. I am a fairly newbie welder and have researched but I am at a loss.....

Using a Hobart 140 MIG with gas. What am I doing wrong?

67 II hardtop

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
245 Posts
Possibly a ground problem. Make sure your ground clamp is clean too. I recently bought a magnetic ground that works for me. Cyberweld has them.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Before welding on the car any more I would do this. Get some 1/8" and 3/16" steel bars 1" or 2" wide. Cut them into 2" or 3" long strips and weld them together, simulating the joints on your 4 link. Put the welded samples in a vise and beat the crap out of them with a big hammer, trying to break the welds. See if you have the same problem, learn how to fix it. Then you can weld on your car.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi Guys

Your problem just might be something simple like you are concentrating the ark on the thickest metal (four bar munt) rather than both floor and four bar mount. welding thick metal to thin metal takes more practice to get right.
Do you have any mates that are competent welders ? maybe you could get one to give you a bit of a master class. If not get a couple of pieces of steel the same thickness as the floor and four bar mount and practice welding these on the bench.

Cheers Ian:uk:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Could be galvanized

I ran into a situation welding on a 67 Camaro. The lightweight gage rear subframe rails were galvanized. When I struck an arc, the white powder formed around the heat effected zone....This may be the problem you have.... You will have to carefully sand through the galvanized coating a half inch or so, on either side of the weld area. The other option is to use fluxed cored wire, which will make a mess you have to clean up with a grinder, if your not an experienced flux cored man. And burning the galvanizing produces toxic fumes that will make you sick if you breath enough of it. I have seen lots of four link brackets welded to subframes, so I know it can be done..... prep is the key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts