Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The manual Unisteer install was not bad at all, my buddy (Guitarwannabee) came over to lend a hand. As always, he was a BIG help!! My best buddy, thanks Guitarwannabee!!!! You da man!!

Everything went just as it should, the only thing I changed was the grade 5 bolts they want you to use for the lower control arm bolt replacement. Changed them over to grade 8 and also got new locking nuts with the expansion head. I also added a lock washer to the outer tie rod adjustment nut. Just to make sure it does not come lose. Now I have plenty of room over by cyl number 7, easy plug access now!

I still need to drive it over to the shop and get an alignment done, it has new alignment specs now with this kit.

Alignment Specs:
Toe: 1/16 to 1/8 inch in
Camber: ¼ degree positive
Caster: 1.5 – 2 degree positive

This is from under the hood looking down were the steering box use to be

This is looking up at the rack, it fit in there like a glove!

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
How does it drive? Is there any bumpsteer? How is the new steering feel and quickness? How is your turning radius?

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure yet, have to go and get it aligned. Its way off right now so, can't make a good judgment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
rack & Pinion

Not sure yet, have to go and get it aligned. Its way off right now so, can't make a good judgment.
Thanks for the credit Nick... allthough is was not necessary, You've done alot for me with the awesome work you do with POWDER COATING........ thank you.... I'm gonna try to post some pics of my car so people can see, i'm watchibg the auction on my Big block car, down to the last hour............:eek:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Nick that look's like a simple set up. Look's good. Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can you or anybody else explain to me what bumpsteer is? I've read it on here before but I don't know what it means. :confused::confused: Thanks for the pics and info on the change over, I'm thinking about doing this to mine while it's all apart. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick that look's like a simple set up. Look's good. Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can you or anybody else explain to me what bumpsteer is? I've read it on here before but I don't know what it means. :confused::confused: Thanks for the pics and info on the change over, I'm thinking about doing this to mine while it's all apart. Thanks again
Bump steer is just what it says and I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong. It happens when the geometry is not correct and when you hit a bump, the suspension reacts to it but the tie rods are not traveling in the same plane and it pushes (or pulls) the steering linkage.

The unisteer system is not suppose to do that.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if its that high or not, the pic can be deceiving. we tried to get all the angles about the same. There's only just much you can do with the adjustments. There's three U joints and I did try it off the ground and it felt smooth with no binding.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Bump steer is just what it says and I'm sure someone will chime in if I'm wrong. It happens when the geometry is not correct and when you hit a bump, the suspension reacts to it but the tie rods are not traveling in the same plane and it pushes (or pulls) the steering linkage.

The unisteer system is not suppose to do that.
To elaborate on what you said, excessive bumpsteer, in either bump or droop, will make the car seem "twitchy" and unpredictable in a turn. Another important factor that goes along with bumpsteer is scrub radius.......

John

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Looks good. I had the same concern about the angle of the joint :D. I am running right at 35* on my setup, the turning is not as smooth as I would like. Another project for next winter.
Tg

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good. I had the same concern about the angle of the joint :D. I am running right at 35* on my setup, the turning is not as smooth as I would like. Another project for next winter.
Tg
Keep us up to date on your changes to improve it. I could not see changing with the current setup to make it better.

·
Vendor
4,070 Posts
I would call Unisteer and get some verification on the angles. When I talked with Borgeson with these same concerns they told me that with the needle bearing joints they max out at 36* their standard joint is only 30*. We use the needle bearing joints only.

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to go down to the garage today and use some 14ga solid wire and make some templates of each joint then measure them to see. I'll post my results.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
The u-joints that come with the Unisteer kit have a max working angle of 40 degrees. I would put the car on the ground and load the steering linkage and see if it binds. The Unisteer kit I bought for my 67 (no longer on the car from a bunch of issues) would bind up no matter how I phased the u-joints or balanced the working angles. Your steering feel should be completely linear through all movement.

John- installation of the rack does not affect the scrub radius.:no:

·
Registered
35 Posts
rack

The u-joints that come with the Unisteer kit have a max working angle of 40 degrees. I would put the car on the ground and load the steering linkage and see if it binds. The Unisteer kit I bought for my 67 (no longer on the car from a bunch of issues) would bind up no matter how I phased the u-joints or balanced the working angles. Your steering feel should be completely linear through all movement.

I helped him install the Rack, car on the ground there is no binding, stop to stop was smooth as silk... He's gotta get aligned & see how it drive at speed.....GW

·
Premium Member
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yup I put it up on jack stands and I had no binding at all and it seemed it was linear from lock to lock.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts