Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to set up a stock 1st gen front end for racing? I've been looking on the net all day for parts and I haven't found anything other than aftermarket clips. Which is definately not the route I am going until this winter at least. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey there Gasser, welcome to the site. There are plenty of racers on this site, who have been down the track a time or two. Depending on your budget, and how involved you might want to get, check out the thread at the top of "Steering Suspensionand Chassis" page on the CPP lower control arm setup. It sounds like a great way to help out your frontend. If you don't want to go that route,at least get a lock-out kit for your lower control arms, so they don't move. Search through the site, "Bills II" has an excellent page on Chevette rack and pinion conversion, plenty of people here are going this route, as we want to keep our factory clip, just improve on it a little. More than a couple people have pics. and details on replacing strut rods with heim joints, so things stay in place better, and bumps and potholes don't throw off your alignment. And if you want to keep your rear steering, look into getting a upgraded idler arm?? with a bearing as the factory ones wear out quickly. hope these ideas help, and enjoy searching. lots of great people here with help just a few clicks away.
Kirk

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can replace the 8 cyl springs with a set of 6 cyl ones to get more stored energy in the springs for weight transfer. Or get a set of Moroso springs.
I use the CE three way adjustable shocks (90/10, 80/20,70/30), although I don't like the way they keep the front end up going down the track.Double adjustable or at least 12 position single adjustable would be perferred.
I've seen a couple of conversions keeping the stock upper/lower control arms with a coilover shock with the front horizontal bar of the rollcage used as an upper mounting point. This allows you to do away with the inner fenders, and you can use the original frame rails.
A rack and pinion solves many of the problems of the oil pan and also takes a lot of weight off the frontend.
Alot of things that can be done depending on your budget, skills, and tools and facilities available.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I have a buddy with a 65 that ran 9.80's. He has mostly stock front suspension with the strut rod bushings replaced by urethane pieces and the alignment has a bunch of caster added by pulling the wheels forward to where the tires occasionally touch the fender openings. (a little trim required)
It handles just fine at 137 mph.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts