Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a thread on this before, but I am to lazy to dig that deep. In light of Dons accident, I more than ever realize I need to insure my race car. I am checking with Bill Lutz. I cant remember any others at this point. Please help. I know of stock racer **** Kincaid, but need a contact. Who do you guys have?
Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Do you have a roll bar or roll cage in the car?

I checked into Hagerty but they will not insure a car that has a roll bar or cage that was not factory installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Standard insurace carriers also frown upon legal drag racing at your local track. If you can convince them to insure you, you will never get full value. Again, if anyone has different experience, I'm all ears because I pretty much figure that I'm on my own and would transer the drivetrain to another body if needed

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
AAA insures my car, though the reps are a little sketchy about it when they see pics. It's covered though.

You won't get ANY carrier to insure your car when it's on the track though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Do you have a roll bar or roll cage in the car?

I checked into Hagerty but they will not insure a car that has a roll bar or cage that was not factory installed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Standard insurace carriers also frown upon legal drag racing at your local track. If you can convince them to insure you, you will never get full value. Again, if anyone has different experience, I'm all ears because I pretty much figure that I'm on my own and would transer the drivetrain to another body if needed

Both of our cars have roll bars and hagerty didnt even blink an eye. We have had them for about 5 years now. Granted the cars are not covered at the track but they did not hassle us about the roll bars.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
there is a Drag race car specific insurance company out there. I can't remember the name of it though off the top of my head. They used to advertise in the Goodguys Gazette.

Any normal Insurance Co. will not cover your car at the track.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
there is a Drag race car specific insurance company out there. I can't remember the name of it though off the top of my head. They used to advertise in the Goodguys Gazette.

I stand corrected

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a quote today from Bill Horton. He specializes in drag race car ins. The car AND trailer with all of its contents are fully covered on an agreed price. They are BOTH covered at all times except for when the car is actually on the track. It is covered at home, in the pits, return road etc.
$500 per year, $500 deductable, $125 down and 9 installments, this is for $25000 coverage. I am still shopping and compairing, but this is standard and is pretty good. Your homeowner ins will not cover your car even if it is in the garage, gets stolen or garage catches fire, out of luck.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Good to know! The ins carrier is comming to the house tomorrow for all cars, trucks and trailers. It's too bad I won't be here, but these guys have done our cars for years. We'll see what they say tomorrow.

Post up some phone numbers when you get the prices.:yes:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i use aaa my car is insured for street driving they dont know that i race it. im sure as soon as you say race car they frown on it. my car only has pl and pd so if i wreck it they will total it :eek: but im going to try to not do that :yes:

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I use Parrish Heacock. It's $250 a year and it covers $25000. They do street/strip or drag cars. Give them a call. 800-274-1804 Dave

·
Registered
192 Posts

I too have heard in the past that there is someone out there that insures the cars on the track, but I also can't remember who. I will try to research this and if I find it I'll post up the info. If anyone has any other names/contact info for others that will at least insure in the pits, etc. please post :yes: Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a quote today from Bill Horton. He specializes in drag race car ins. The car AND trailer with all of its contents are fully covered on an agreed price. They are BOTH covered at all times except for when the car is actually on the track. It is covered at home, in the pits, return road etc.
$500 per year, $500 deductable, $125 down and 9 installments, this is for $25000 coverage. I am still shopping and compairing, but this is standard and is pretty good. Your homeowner ins will not cover your car even if it is in the garage, gets stolen or garage catches fire, out of luck.
From their web site: "It covers cars used only for drag racing, and also can cover trailers, tools and spare parts. It isn’t an auto policy and can’t insure a vehicle registered for street use. The policy only covers your property, and is not a liability policy."

What about street driven cars?? Is Hagerty the best bet out there?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
i use aaa my car is insured for street driving they dont know that i race it. im sure as soon as you say race car they frown on it. my car only has pl and pd so if i wreck it they will total it :eek: but im going to try to not do that :yes:
Most insurance companies TOTAL a car when the damages exceed 75% of the cars value ! this is how a vehicle becomes a TOTAL LOSS .

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
SO out of that 25000. how much covers property , how much covers bodily , and so on ? 25000.00 is nothing !!!!! you take out a telephone pole and it can cost upwards of 80,000.00, you take out 2008 vette and you will loose your @ss !

that coverage needs to be explained to you !

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SO out of that 25000. how much covers property , how much covers bodily , and so on ? 25000.00 is nothing !!!!! you take out a telephone pole and it can cost upwards of 80,000.00, you take out 2008 vette and you will loose your @ss !

that coverage needs to be explained to you !
You miss the point. This is for drag race car insurance. Not liabilaty. I do not drive it on the street. It is an agreed amount to cover the loss of my car in case of an accedent towing it, theft, fire or someone else hitting it on the return road, staging lanes etc. If I crash on the way to the track, towing my vehicle, my insurance on my truck will cover the property, telephone pole. I have done a lot of research on this. It is a specialty insureance. I will post all of my findings when I am done.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You miss the point. This is for drag race car insurance. Not liabilaty. I do not drive it on the street. It is an agreed amount to cover the loss of my car in case of an accedent towing it, theft, fire or someone else hitting it on the return road, staging lanes etc. If I crash on the way to the track, towing my vehicle, my insurance on my truck will cover the property, telephone pole. I have done a lot of research on this. It is a specialty insureance. I will post all of my findings when I am done.
Im gladd you are doing your homework ! i work in an industry that deals with car insurance EVERYDAY , and i have come too the conclusion that ALL insurance companies are SNAKES !!!! they can di****out ,but cant take it ! As long as you know your coverage, and its in writing your good !

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Tubbed63, are you sure that they cover the car on the racing surface? I've never heard of a company doing that, and it would be very expensive if one did. I use Parrish/Heacock and my dragster is insured for $30,000 for $250 a year and $500 ded. Covers fire, theft, collision while being towed. Dave

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Tubbed63, are you sure that they cover the car on the racing surface? I've never heard of a company doing that, and it would be very expensive if one did. I use Parrish/Heacock and my dragster is insured for $30,000 for $250 a year and $500 ded. Covers fire, theft, collision while being towed. Dave

They sure do. The guys over at yellowbullet are talking about it and a couple of them have it. The one guy said his car is insured for 45,000 and he got 25,000 worth if he hits another race car to cover that persons car. He pays $1,531 a year for that coverage. Somebody there got it and a few days later wrecked at the track and said the company has been on the ball working with his shop to get his car back together and on the track. His shops owner said the company has not denied or even wimpered at anything.

Here is where they talk about it. You may have to read a page or two in to find it.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132472&highlight=insurance

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Thanks for the info. But it is a bit pricey. I'll take my 30G for $250 a year. I had a crash back in 1982 at the IHRA World Nats at Norwalk in the final of Super Rod. Took out both cars. No insurance back then. Dave

1 - 20 of 22 Posts