Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I am doing something custom and unique here, but bare with me. I just dropped in my new GM Performance zz454 and this thing is going to be loud and I love it, but Im not so sure my neighbors share in my same interests. I currently have Flowmsater 10 Series mufflers on it and I love them and want to keep them, but I live in a very quiet neighborhood and I usually leave early in the morning or come home late at night from my activities.

So, to keep my 10 series Flowmasters here is an idea I came up with. I could run the vintage style tri muffler setup with cutouts. See pic and notes.

mufflersetup by ssnovass396, on Flickr

I think this could work if I can find the right rear crossflow old muffler that fits up near the rear axle. I just need one that is super quiet and cheap. This is ONLY for the neighborhood and so I am able to warm up my Nova in the mornings and come home late without me disturbing the neighbors.

What would you guys recommend for this rear axle cross flow muffler? Remember, cheaper the better, because I am not going with this to sound cool, but for quietness and maybe even on long highway trips. Then with a flip of a switch I open the cutouts to my 10 Series Flowmasters Ohhhh yeah :yes:.

Let me know what you guys come up with as far as the rear crossflow style muffler that would fit up in there and even a set of decent electric cutouts.

I also have the rear jacked up a bit so this should help even more with getting that muffler up above the axle.

afterfocus_1505394459178 by ssnovass396, on Flickr

Thanks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Your idea is genius actually, I love it. I have the same exact situation to contend with sooner or later, and I was thinking about how I could make a small block as quiet as a Honda Accord for 4am startups. :eek:

What size is your current exhaust? 2.5" or 3"?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your idea is genius actually, I love it. I have the same exact situation to contend with sooner or later, and I was thinking about how I could make a small block as quiet as a Honda Accord for 4am startups. :eek:

Awesome and thank you. Yeah I have been trying to think of ways to do this and it was driving me crazy until I realized its as simple as putting the cutout after the 10 Series and then stick one of those stock quiet deals up in the rear lol. In theory it should work out great.

There is a 80 Series Crossflow Flowmaster I have seen, but its still pretty loud. However with my 10 series and the 80 series it should quiet it down even more.

My pipes are all 2.5".

This is what we need, but like it said, its still kind of loud and its top quality and expensive.

So my question still stands, does anyone know of a super cheap one that is even quieter?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If you wanted to help in the search, some cheaper brands are AP and Walker. I am currently on the hunt.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1972 Nova
395 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am running a Magnaflow cross flow on my 66 wagon. Click on the bottom pic for a video.
2017-02-27 17.25.18 by Patrick Brown, on Flickr
006 by Patrick Brown, on Flickr
Dang that is so clean. That's cleaner than my counter tops.

What model did you go with exactly since its not really coming up on a google search. Also, can you just do the muffler or do you have to buy their whole kit?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just got off the phone with Walker/Dynomax and here are some options they gave me that will work for this with an inlet and outlet on the left side and an inlet and outlet on the right side, the typical crossflow style.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/walker-exhaust-systems/e-catalog-lookup/22395

http://www.thrushexhaust.com/muffle...sh-turbo-muffler-dual-offset-dual-offset.html

The second option will be louder though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-22395

Here is the Walker Quiet Flow SS. That sounds pretty good to me and I would assume matching that up with the 10 Series it should be even quieter. I have no idea what that would sound like though.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice deep rumble but not obnoxious like Flowmasters.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
That turned out really nice. Sounds great both ways. Your engine is very healthy. :yes: The only thing I might would change is a pipe on the cut out to get it from under the car. If it had room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts