Chevy Nova Forum banner

Quietest muffler?

6K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  stc315 
#1 ·
The flowmaster 40s on my 383 are starting to annoy the neighbors. What do guys recommend on quiet yet aggressive mufflers... thanks ??!

#6 ·
Pypes' Race Pro muffler sounds like what you want.

It is a straight through design (perforated tube with a wire mesh surrounding it with rock wool packing inside the casing). This muffler offers the most flow and performance of all our muffler options but is also our overall quietest muffler. The Race Pro will be on the quiet side at idle, but will get more aggressive as you get on it.

#8 ·
I started to make a very serious but unhelpful remark like "what you really need is new neighbors", but...

I wonder what you mean by "quiet"? At idle only? All around? Does it matter if you take a performance loss? What exactly are you looking for?

I also thought it was interesting that the vendor Pypes "piped" in. I have their Violator mufflers, and I can tell you that although they are supposed to be a muffler "to get noticed", they are just almost disappointingly quiet at idle, but then roar like open headers at high RPM. In fact, I can hit about 3000 RPM before they start to get serious. If their Race Pro, as mentioned, is any more tame then you may want to seriously consider them, but it goes back to my first question about what you want. I don't know if the Race Pro would be considered "quiet" when you romp on it.

#9 ·
I have hooker max flows on my 350, quieter than the turbos I had on it at idle, and cruise is fairly mellow, but anything more than 1/3 throttle and they bark. I don't love the sound at WOT, but everywhere else they are perfect so I live with it. I may put an H pipe in to see if that makes it better. I would get them again.

#15 ·
I'm running Borla XR1's with the 16" case. Quiet at cruise and idle, bark pretty good at wot. They sound really good, just too quiet for me...so I bought the shorter case ones and will be swapping them out.

Had flowmaster 44's on the car when i bought it and hated the tin can sound and drone.

#17 ·
I am running Pypes Violators on my Nova (502 big block, 3 inch system) and love them. Quieter than Flowmasters car had when I bought it but still mean when I rev it up. I used to be a dealer for Magnaflow and MAC Products and I was very impressed with the Pypes system fit and performance. Especially for the price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.