Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up my LS1 Nova project and its time for some exhaust. I will be running cut outs so overall flow isnt as important to me as being quiet is. It will be a 75% bracket car but will be driven to local cruise nights with my wife and daughter so im in need of some quite mufflers. Is there any other options besides the usual Turbo Muffler?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The Flowmasters are pretty quiet. You have room for 18 inch mufflers which will help a little more. If you really want it quite, two flowmasters on each side. I'm not sure on the 73s, but the 68 - 72s have room for a 4 inch round muffler above the axle.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Depending on how much room you have, the RV/Truck version of the Dynomax turbo muffler is supposed to be really quiet and still flow relatively well.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
71Nova on this site just took some Edelbrock mufflers off his car that you might be interested in. They were pretty quiet on his big block that put a 55 belair hardtop well into the 11's

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
The Flowmasters are pretty quiet
???? That's the first time I've ever heard Flowmasters described as quiet---maybe the 50's on a stock engine with 2" pipe would be quiet.

DynoMax SuperTurbo Hemi mufflers are pretty quiet (only 2-1/4" or 2-1/2")
but might be a little long. Their Welded UltraFlow's are louder, but even a little 2-1/2" version(model#17218) will support 1000+h.p. with no loss of power. The larger diameter pipe is usually going to be the louder muffler, that's why I suggest the 2-1/2".

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Yes IMO the dynomax hemi turbo muffler will be the quietest compared to others. Its a 20" long case. PN#17748. PN# 17769 are larger case hemi turbos with true 3" inlet/outlets but are for trucks. The regular super turbos would work good as well PN#17733.

quiet flowmaster=oxymoron....lol

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Flowmasters are pretty quiet. You have room for 18 inch mufflers which will help a little more. If you really want it quite, two flowmasters on each side. I'm not sure on the 73s, but the 68 - 72s have room for a 4 inch round muffler above the axle.
LOL, the only time my flowmasters are quiet is when the car is off. I'm with bowtie on this one.

Mark

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know this is an old post, but it’s exactly my issue.
Has anyone been able to fit the 20 in case dynomax super turbos under their 3rd gen Nova.
Im going to run x pipe duals out the back with no crossflow muffler.
I want the mufflers in the pockets under the back seats, but it looks as if most pre made exgaust system from the big exhaust sellers like the Pypes SGF10, magnaflow, abd so on.. all use 14-16 inch mufflers. The 20” super turbos have the exact sound and noise level I need with little to no drone.
I don’t mind the exhaust hanging down a little. Any experiences?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If your going with cut-outs why not just use Stock mufflers. And another thing the farther away from the collector you can get the mufflers the quitter they should be.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My friend has a pair of old Chrysler Imperial mufflers on his '69 Roadrunner. They are super quiet.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good info, but that Walker Quiet Flow is 18 inches long. Im sure the Chrysler Imperial mufflers are even longer. Pre made kits for our cars like from Pypes, magnaflow, or flowmaster all use around 14 inch mufflers to fit in the pockets under the seat. Im asking if anyone managed to instal a Dual exhaust system in a 3rd gen Nova with large case mufflers. If so, how? Make the exhaust hand low? And so on... I’m wanting to have 20 inch Dynomax Super Turbos installed. Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts