Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Chevy II, 67 Chevy II, 65 C10
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the quietest muffler with a pypes x pipe. I have street pros on it now and hate them. The droning is too much for me. Stock LS1 with headers and x pipe

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
163 Posts
I have Borla Pro XS mufflers with an X-pipe and 3” pipes all the way out the back on my 68 Camaro with an LS3 and I’m quite happy with it. They have a nice deep tone that’s not “in your face” during normal driving but when you’re in it, they can definitely get loud. At most autocross events, my car is usually among the quietest but I do get some droning in the 2100-2300 rpm range but nothing other then that. I plan on using the same mufflers on my 67 Nova build. Here’s a link to my Camaro if you wanna hear what they sound like...

·
Registered
852 Posts
Stainless Works I've tried a lot of mufflers and these sound the best! No rasp and very little drone.

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
831 Posts
I have street pros on it now and hate them. The droning is too much for me.
I have the race pro's and feel the same way. I don't mind them for the first 30 minutes or so but then they start to wear on me. I initially bought Borlas but the inlet/outlet wasn't right and they wouldn't work. Up against the drive shaft. Guess I ordered the wrong ones?

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,045 Posts
I have Borla Pro XS mufflers with an X-pipe and 3” pipes all the way out the back on my 68 Camaro with an LS3 and I’m quite happy with it. They have a nice deep tone that’s not “in your face” during normal driving but when you’re in it, they can definitely get loud. At most autocross events, my car is usually among the quietest but I do get some droning in the 2100-2300 rpm range but nothing other then that. I plan on using the same mufflers on my 67 Nova build. Here’s a link to my Camaro if you wanna hear what they sound like...

Hey Shane
I can’t figure out how to upload YouTube, any help ?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the race pro's and feel the same way. I don't mind them for the first 30 minutes or so but then they start to wear on me. I initially bought Borlas but the inlet/outlet wasn't right and they wouldn't work. Up against the drive shaft. Guess I ordered the wrong ones?
Good to know. Mine dump at the rear end because the pypes over the axle was impossible to keep from rattling on leaf spring. I need to get the over axles back on to see if it helps the sound. I honestly don't care about performace or if I lose some HP, I would rather have a quiet ride in the cab of the car. I have a stock 67 283 car that is whisper quiet and I really love driving that car

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

What is the noise inside the car driving down the road? Can you hold a normal conversation with passenger

·
Registered
67 Nova, Nothin Special
163 Posts
Hey Shane
I can’t figure out how to upload YouTube, any help ?
Thanks Rick
Yeah, you should be able to go to the App Store and search for YouTube and download it from there.You’ll want the one that just says “YouTube” only, not YouTube TV or YouTube Kids.

Good to know. Mine dump at the rear end because the pypes over the axle was impossible to keep from rattling on leaf spring. I need to get the over axles back on to see if it helps the sound. I honestly don't care about performace or if I lose some HP, I would rather have a quiet ride in the cab of the car. I have a stock 67 283 car that is whisper quiet and I really love driving that car
If you don’t have tailpipes on it, that alone will make a huge difference in sound and droning. You should get those done before you change mufflers. You might also try some Dynamat or equivalent if you don’t already have it. You‘ll get other benefits besides just noise reduction.

What is the noise inside the car driving down the road? Can you hold a normal conversation with passenger
In the city it’s very mild, you can carry a conversation no problem. My phone uses the car’s sound system via Bluetooth and you can have a phone conversation no problem as well. On the highway below 70 it’s the same way but around 70-75 mph it hits the RPM a range where I get some droning. If you speed up or slow down slightly, it goes away. Keep in mind, your gear ratio, etc. will determine what rpm your car would drone so with a taller gear it’d happen at higher speeds and a lower gear would happen at lower speeds. Mine has 3.73’s and a 6 speed. Also has Dynamat and 1/4” Dynaliner throughout.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a LS3, 1 7/8 headers, tiny bullet 200MCel cats, x pipe, and a MagnaFlow system with turbo mufflers. I got the MagnaFlow system from Summit. It’s pretty damn quiet considering. At idle and cruising around its great. Sounds awesome when you open it up. I’ll try to post a sound Clip soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What is the quietest muffler with a pypes x pipe. I have street pros on it now and hate them. The droning is too much for me. Stock LS1 with headers and x pipe
Let’s see I started off with Flowmaster, then Magnaflow, then Walker, then Borla and hated all of them. I ended up getting a set of catalytic converters off of a 2014 Challenger that had a 5.7 Hemi in it. Put those on and got rid of exhaust smell in my garage and absolutely love the way it sounds now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 72 nova. Just finished conversion to a Ls1, hooker headers and a pypes 2.5” SGF11 system with street pro mufflers. My interior is still striped out except for front seats. I have 250 miles since getting back on the road. So far I like mine, not to loud until I get on it. No road trips yet. I did have a bit of a struggle to get a good fit and I added turn downs to the end to the tail pipe just before the bumper. I used my existing hanger brackets in front of the rear axle. I opted not to use the supplied hanger behind the rear axle because I would have to drill new holes in frame. Instead I found a hanger from Napa similar to pypes part number HGH10 that fit in the stock location just in front of the rear bumper. I feel my System is rock solid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts