Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes a quieter replacement fuel injection fuel pump to replace the one in my Rick's Tank? The original AC Delco pump that came with the tank is pretty loud in my opinion, it almost drowns out the sound of the exhaust when you stand at the back of the car. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's a nice stainless ricks tank that's pretty visible from the back of the car, maybe some on top but I don't think that will do too much. It's not bad inside the car because of the dynamat overkill of 8 extreme bulk packs, 5 gallon of spray on and 7 or 8 rolls of 1/4" dynaliner throughout...

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I don't think you'll find anything quieter than the OE pump, but if you were to use a PWM module to controll the pump that should make it quieter, especially at the low flow rate needed for idle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to fill it up all the way then see how it sounds, I figured 1/2 tank would be enough to cover the pump to quiet it up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I'll have to check that out.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Check out the one I used (Fuel on Demand from Professional Products). I'm talking to them about becoming a distributor for their stuff. I have a video of their laptop interface and a pump noise video on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LS67NOVA?feature=mhee

Keeps the Camaro pump VERY quiet, and hasn't caused me one bit of issue yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I shouldn't have a restriction problem because my fuel lines match the size of the inlet and return of the ricks tank setup and I only run the corvette filter/regulator setup with about 45 mins of usage so far

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Does anyone know who makes a quieter replacement fuel injection fuel pump to replace the one in my Rick's Tank? The original AC Delco pump that came with the tank is pretty loud in my opinion, it almost drowns out the sound of the exhaust when you stand at the back of the car. Thanks
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on your fuel system? Or have access to one? You may have a plugged filter regulator. If you bought one off the internet for 20 something dollars, it is a Chinese knockoff, and junk. Several folks on Tech have had them fail, if it is Wix, or AC Delco, you should be good. A bad regulator will cause the pump to strain, and cavitate if it is dead heading. Also, if you ever run the pump dry for maore than about 1 minute, the vanes are on their way out......

Personally, I don't think the PWM is your answer with that pump, as your pump now is externally regulated, so you have to get to 58 PSI or better to trip the external regulator check valve. The PWM will bring your pump to the speed/pressure of 58 PSI, and the noise will be the same, regulator or not. The other pumps on the Vaporworks tank can be run a couple of different ways. They can use an internally regulated check valve set at 58 psi, or no check valve and the PWM, which is the way Bari is running his, and also the new Camaros, plus they are sitting in a fuel bucket, inside a tank. I can barely hear mine, but mine is set at a straight up 58 PSI, no filter regulator. These engines need a minimum of that to run....

Talk to Hector, he has an upgrade that uses the Walbro 225 LPH pump. I had one of the first generation of tanks like yours, and the Walbro was very quiet, you could barely hear it when the car was running, and I had dynomax mufflers on it......barely audible....this would be the easiest solution, and less than the PWM.

T,

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
The corvette filter/regulator is a restrictor (but on the return side). Without restriction you would have no pressure. With this set up the pump runs flat out all the time which make it louder, shortens it's life and heats the fuel.

With a PWM there is no need for a return (although some people do use them). The pump is cycled on and of very quickly. The on versus off time is varied to maintain pressure at whatever flow rate the engine needs. So at idle where very low fuel flow is needed the pump spins much slower, then as engine speed and load are increased and fuel demand goes up the pump increases speed to meet demand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The filter/regulator I bought was from speedway motors online so I would like to think its not a cheap Chinese one but who knows now days.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I am in need of a quiet external pump. Had a Holley blue on the car for all of 15 miles and removed it because of the noise. No amount of isolation, padding, sound deadener I could think of made it tolerable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Not sure what kind of power you are making, but I have had great luck with replacement 97' Chevy Suburban in-tank pumps. I had two different external pumps and one internal before I found this one, and it is whisper quiet. I also like that I can buy one at any corner store for $80 and it comes with an inlet sock, wire harness, and fuel hose. Just another option you can consider.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Not sure what kind of power you are making, but I have had great luck with replacement 97' Chevy Suburban in-tank pumps. I had two different external pumps and one internal before I found this one, and it is whisper quiet. I also like that I can buy one at any corner store for $80 and it comes with an inlet sock, wire harness, and fuel hose. Just another option you can consider.
It is one I am strongly considering. The mod to the tank will not be real difficult and the results well worth the effort.
I am around 450 horse and that pump would be plenty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
do you have the stock nova gas tank and the part # of the pump i am having same problem with my 1966 nova 350 tpi injection. i was looking at the A1000 11101 AEROMOTIVE PUMP EXTERNAL BUT, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THAT IS ANY QUIETER?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts