Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I installed the hurst back up light switch on the car. Before I took things apart I measured the stop bolt bottom of the head to the shifter housing. Measured the thickness of the bracket.Subtracted the bracket from the jam nut, adjusting the jam nut up. Then installed the works back on the shifter. I didn't adjust the front bolt. At Idle I get all gears and no grinding or binding. I'm not well versed in this area,should I be concerned here that its very ball park and redo all as per hurst instructions. Thanks

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Recently I installed the hurst back up light switch on the car. Before I took things apart I measured the stop bolt bottom of the head to the shifter housing. Measured the thickness of the bracket.Subtracted the bracket from the jam nut, adjusting the jam nut up. Then installed the works back on the shifter. I didn't adjust the front bolt. At Idle I get all gears and no grinding or binding. I'm not well versed in this area,should I be concerned here that its very ball park and redo all as per hurst instructions. Thanks
It won't hurt to redo them as per Hurst instructions and it will give you piece of mind knowing it's right. The stops have no affect on gear grinding, they prevent the shifter arm from being over thrown during aggressive shifts and damaging the forks along with other internals. The only way you would know they were incorrectly adjusted, would be if the transmission won't go in or remain in gear, which means the bolts are too close. If they're too far, you won't know until you've done damage. You should be able to access the adjusters from the inside of the car, so it's usually pretty simple and quick to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Taz3 for the reply. I'll go the hurst route. I also wasn't sure about top access to them..Thanks again, greatly appreciated.Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts