Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you still have to have the wheel stud showing throught he lug nut on the front like you do on the back or can you use a closed ended shank on front? Thanks

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I may be wrong but I thought the rule read"must have the thickness of the stud into the head of the lug nut
Correct.

Closed end lug nuts are fine as long as they're threaded on at least the thickness of the stud.

I run closed end lug nuts on my car.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Correct.

Closed end lug nuts are fine as long as they're threaded on at least the thickness of the stud.

I've never heard that before. Every car at the track here (not the street cars) must have open-end lug nuts, with apparently, the full thickness of the stud past the top of the nut.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my car will be a street/strip car but I am going with the open end just to be safe. I will be running slicks at the track and the car really will be more of a drag car anyway. thanks for the info guys

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Correct.

While the rule book does not specifically state open- or closed-end, the tech inspectors need to visually confirm the thread engagement spec, so if you are running a closed-end lug nut, the tech inspectors can fail you since the he/she cannot confirm the thread engagement. It's best to use open-end lug nuts.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Closed end lug nuts are fine as long as they're threaded on at least the thickness of the stud
Wrong.
With stock wheels it's not usually an issue-the problem is with an aftermarket wheel that is much thicker and you have very little thread going into the center section. They want to see how far the stud protrudes into the wheel, and as Vince mentioned, can and will boot you if they can't verify the facts.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
if your using 7/16s front wheel studs they must protrude into the hex head portion of the lug 7/16s same with the rears. and yes most tech inspectors will boot you if you have closed ended lugnuts :yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts